Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is it about 50?

Thanks

Default what is it about 50?

I've noticed that there are quite alot of people with SLE who die at 50 years old or so. I worked as an occupational therapist with 3 people with SLE and they died at 50/52 years old. And I've noticed about 6 others in the paper who've passed on at 50.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, since I am in my mid-50s, I certainly hope that this does not mean that I am close to the end of my days :lol:

I do not think that there is a real answer to that, unfortunately! Especially since there are too many who die in their 20s, and too many who die in their 30s and way too many who die in their teenage years! I think it has more to do with the extent of their disease, how much their organs had been damaged, how long had the disease wreaked havoc on their bodies and what types of complications did they suffer with as a result of Lupus.

By the same token, there are many, many of us who have lived 20 -30 years with Lupus and have lived a relatively normal life. Because of new treatments, medications and knowledge of the disease, there are more chances of longevity with Lupus than mortality (thank goodness!)

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Well, guess then I have already beat the odds and have every intention of continuing to do so in future. My we all live long productive, and happy lives.

Thanks

Here, here beautifulbeluga!! Well, Susan - like you I've seen and heard of many who have passed away too early in life. I think that sometimes there are questions on earth that can only be answered in Heaven.

I choose to believe that God brings home his angels when He knows it's too much to bear...but why do they leave us and our lives seem so empty without them? I would like to believe that the grace we've been given by having them in our lives at all is a blessing well beyond what we ever deserved in the first place. I've lost two brothers and it has taken many years for me to reach a point of peace in reconciling how we are supposed to go on....but we do. I finally have come to understand that it's not so much the number of years you live...as much as it is....how much LIFE DID YOU PACK IN the years you had.

Every mornin' when I wake up on this side of the dirt, I consider it the best day of my life....until Heaven that is (smile). Yep, everyday is another chance to make choices that will keep me in peace, wonderment, and in pure thankfulness for the air I breathe, the hands I get to hold; and the hearts that care about me. IT'S ALL GOOD IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!

So, my friend - I wouldn't worry about the number - my challenge to you instead is this: CHOOSE THIS DAY TO MAKE YOUR PEACE, TO FIND YOUR JOY, TO PAY SOMETHING FORWARD, TO NEVER LOOK BACK...TO LIVE YOUR LIFE AS THE BEST EXAMPLE OF HOPE THAT SOMEONE MAY EVER SEE. That's my challenge to you...it's a challenge I accept every morning when I wake up.

Take care, and be happy.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

Got nothin' to add to that, Browneyedgirl! Gotta love your philosophy!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Absolutely on point, Browneyedgirl
    I accept your challenge because I agree with it and you 150%

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Great point Browneyedgirl!

And all above.

By the way, I was 50 when I was diagnosed.... and I'm still hanging in there. as with SaySusie, I'm mid50's now.

Life is good - no matter if you live as long as Mrs Astor - who just died at 105 - life is sweet and ends far too soon. We need to treasure every day we're given, and live it to our fullest.

Thanks

Default Re: what is it about 50?

Quote Originally Posted by susan88004
    I've noticed that there are quite alot of people with SLE who die at 50 years old or so. I worked as an occupational therapist with 3 people with SLE and they died at 50/52 years old. And I've noticed about 6 others in the paper who've passed on at 50.
    guess i know when im gonna die then!!!!!! couple of more years

wonder how this makes people feel that are 50-52 and are not feeling so well
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Hi Teriod,

When you choose to stand too close to the edge of life, I believe you forget how much room there is left to dance! Whatever it is in l ife that makes you want to get up one more day....look forward to that. Look forward to doing something you've never done before that makes you feel excited about being here...in this life, in this world, in your family, wherever you feel loved!

So start making your 5 year plan....and we'll be there to celebrate with you!!!!!! Dreams are a daring way to live, they keep you motivated long after reality wants to crash the party. (if that made any sense?)

Hope you're having a great day.

Take care & Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

I'm about to be 50 in a couple of weeks, and I'm just now being diagnosed. My theory is this - Many of us are female, and 50 is a time of a great deal of hormonal upheaval for many of us. I know that the beginning symptoms of menopause are hitting me along with the worsening of the SLE symptoms that I've had for several years without knowing what it was. Perhaps both things are hitting me hard at the same time, and perhaps this is common for we women "of a certain age". What wisdom do you have on this theory, Saysusie?
    Marla