Thread: New Member

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default New Member

Hello all,

My name is Amanda, I am a 23 year old from Chicago. For years I have been suffering from joint pain, severe fatigue and all-over stiffness and pain, headaches, and Raynauds. I was just diagnosed with Lupus, and am beginning to research the disease. I am still in denial that I have a "disease"....I am currently taking prednisone and plaquinil after suffering reactions to vioxx and norvasc. I am also trying to figure out how my test results fit in with the majority of diagnosis of Lupus, and what I need to do [exercise, stress, drugs, nutrition, etc.] to combat the disease. I also am fighting anxiety about having the disease [and as I said above, denial] because I don't know how this will effect future plans [getting married, having children, etc.].

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to future posting!

Take care!
    Amanda

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Amanda :P
    Welcome to our forum. It is very hard being told that you have a disease...then being told that there is no cure for your disease and to add to your stress, that it is a life long disease!! You are quite young and that is a lot to deal with.
    The good news is that, for many, the disease does go into remission. Especially if it is diagnosed and treated early.
    You should change your diet..avoid red meats, eat lots of vegetables (but avoid alfalpha and legumes). Most important - at least for me - exercise daily. Do some form of weight bearing exercise and stretching exercise every day. By weight bearing, I mean standing on your feet (not necessarily lifting weights).
    The stretching really helps the stiffness and pain. Try moderate to light yoga poses. Try to stretch upon awakening in the mornings and after your rest periods.
    Allow yourself to rest when you are experiencing fatigue...find some way to help you have productive rest periods each day.
    I keep heating pads all over my house for the Raynaud's in my fingers and toes. As I sit at my computer, my feet are always in a heating pad! 8)
    This forum is here to provide you with support, comfort and information. We especially want you to know that you are not alone.
    Take Very Good Care Of Yourself
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi, Amanda. I also had a lot of anxiety over my diagnosis just a few months ago. Once I started treatment, the anxiety started to go away. I still worry a bit about the future, and I've always been a "type A" personality- a worrier and planner. I think Lupus has given me something positive, though. I'm really learning to take one day at a time and enjoy life. It sounds cliche, but it has really helped my anxiety.

Best wishes,

Missy

Thanks

Hi Missy,

Thanks for the note. I really appreciate what you said about taking one day at a time -- I am also a strong type-A personality, which may have been one of the "environmental" triggers, so to say. I am working on relaxing and not getting stressed out over the little things, and am working on a wellness outlook on my entire life.

It's also good to be able to talk to people who can understand this, and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Take care,
    Amanda

Thanks

Hi everyone!

I am so glad I found a messge board like this to say HI!

My name is Darla and I am 29 and newly diagnosed. I just had my ANA test done a couple of weeks ago but the doc took a skin biopsy and found significant reason to believe it is lupus. I get the ANA results next weekend.

A little about me, currently unemployed and still searching. I live in Michigan just north of Mount Clemens area.

Thanks

Welcome!

All your reactions are commonplace and God knows most of us have been through them, but with the right meds, LIFESTYLE and support we can live relatively "normal" lives and enjoy the days when we are symptom free---sometimes a bit of denial is adaptive---can't always be obsessing over it!

BTW, loved living in Chitown...was there couple of years back....my last thusfar symptom free months I had there :roll: