Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kidney Biopsy

Thanks

Default Kidney Biopsy

Hello Family,

I have been diagnosed with lupus nephritis but have never had a kidney biopsy because I was in such a bad flare that had to begin treating me. Now they need to determine what stage the disease is in to determine what course of treatment to continue with as it looks like my kidneys are not responsing to cytoxan.

Would anyone care to share their experience with their biopsy as I am shaking in my boots. The doctors say it's harmless but they have never had one. Although I know everyone's experience is different I would just like insight from someone who has experienced it? thanks

Thanks

as I was real worried about the procedure also, it turned out to be alot less worse experience than i counted on, they had me lay on a catscan machine, put some good numbing drugs in the local area and basically took pictures while they did thier probing, the only thing i really felt was their hands moving on my back, the worse part of the whole thing was having to spend the night in va hospital, I hope this helps

Terry
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

TERIOD and I agree on a lot and this is one more example! I had myself WAY worked up over this biopsy. It was my first time ever being in a hospital, too!

The only thing - my doc could have explained the process a lot better to me - don't be afraid to ask questions. You do have to hold your breathe while they puncture the kidney (holding your breathe pushes the diaphragm to push your kidneys out of the way of your ribs, etc). My doc forgot to tell me when I could breathe again!!! I had to ask him while still trying to hold my breathe - "Cran I breef now?" They also did not tell me I would have to stay on my back for several hours afterwards. That was a bummer. All in all, the worst part was the fasting before-hand! Then, having my mom trying to feed me while I'm laying down, because I was starving!

I only had local anesthetic and had, coincidentally, had acupuncture scheduled the same morning. I had some acupuncture points for anxiety, and did my yoga breathing during the process, and I think it really helped.

You'll do great!!!
    Missy

Thanks

Hi Pretti,

I think it's human nature to be afraid of what we are not familiar with. My experience with the kidney biopsy did include a scan and also they take a tiny sample of your kidney tissue to determine is there is any lupus involvement. Like you, I was so scared. And now that you see there are many of us who survived the ordeal; and honestly - it's a minor procedure. You'll be a little sore where they do the tiny incision, but it really is not something to worry about. You'll do just fine.

I don't know how you feel, but I was thankful to have it done so that I could understand more how this disease affects our organs. I believe that the more we know about this disease; the better we can understand and manage our health.

You will be in my prayers and we can't wait to hear all about your biopsy....you'll be just fine! Be strong, be positive....be informed.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

Thanks guys,

My doc did tell me about holding me breath, laying on my stomach, and fasting so he was good about that. I guess I am working myself up over nothing.

I will keep you guys informed.

Thanks

Hello Pretti in Pink,

I've had two kidney biopsies and they actually aren't as bad as you'd think. You lay in a catscan machine and they go in threw your back. I felt more pressure than anything and I only felt that for a brief moment. It doesn't take long at all! So don't worry, you'll be just fine!!!

Thanks

thank you.

Thanks

Prayers coming your way, Pretti. Sometimes anticipation is our worst enemy (and sometimes our best friend!) You'll do fine, I know.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

thanks Jody.

Thanks

Dear Pretti,

I have had two kidney biopsies. It is a quick, simple procedure. As others mentioned, you will be lying on your back throughout (20minutes, 30max.). It is a bit more painful than a needle prick. Try to think of your dream vacation or anything that's relaxing and fun while the sample is being taken.

Afterwards, you will stay in bed for a day because your back will ache and you will probably excrete urine that contains blood. That's normal. So don't you worry at all
    Let us know how it all goes. Best of luck!!
    I was diagnosed with lupus nephritis, confirmed by bloodwork and kidney biopsy, and mild lupus cerebritis (epileptiform) in June 2004.
    Medications: CellCept, Prednisone; Phenytoin; Lipitor; Zestril, Norvasc; Aranesp (darbepoetin alfa).