Thread: Severely dry lips

Thanks

Default Severely dry lips

About 2 months ago my lips started becoming extremely dry, like never before. I am getting to the point where they are cracking, burning and bright red. They are even swollen. What is up with this? Is this a symptom? I have never ever had this problem be/4
    Ashley
    30 years old, possible Lupus

~Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle~

Thanks

Many of my medications give me severe dry mouth
    Fair Oaks California

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Have you been tested for Sjorgen's Syndrome? Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disorder in which immune cells attack and destroy the glands that produce tears and saliva. Many people with Lupus also develop Sjogren's Syndrome and one of its symptoms is severely dry and cracked lips.
    Also, have you started on any new medications? There are several medications that we take for Lupus and other symptoms whose side-effect can be dry mouth and cracked lips.

Saysusie

Thanks

WELL THE THING IS I AM BEING MONITORED FOR POSSIBLE LUPUS AND I AM NOT ON ANY MEDICATIONS AS OF YET. I HAVE A POSITIVE ANA AND MY C3 AND C4 COMPLEMENTS FLUCTUATE. LAST TIME I WENT THEY WERE NORMAL BUT MY ANA WAS MORE ELEVATED... THIS IS JUST A NEW SYMPTOM I AM EXPERIENCING ALONG WITH VERTIGO AND DIZZYNESS. I ALSO GET BAD HEADACHES AT TIMES. BUT MY LIPS ARE GETTING SO BAD I CAN'T HARDLY STAND IT!
    Ashley

~Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle~

Thanks

Default THANKS!

OH YEAH BY THE WAY THANX FOR YOUR CONCERNS AND RESPONSES
    Ashley

Thanks

tbird, I have Sjogren's and dry lips can certainly be a symptom (dry darn near everything, in fact!) The Sjogren's Foundation website has a lot of good info - obviously, you can't diagnose yourself, but some of the self-care tips are good for a symptom like dry lips, even if you aren't sure what's causing it. It's www.sjogrens.org If you do develop a severely dry mouth, be sure to talk to your doctor. Dry mouth can affect the health of your teeth. Sjogren's has a lot of symptoms that are very similar to lupus, too. It's also common for someone to have both lupus and Sjogren's (or other autoimmune diseases for that matter.)

But, dry lips or mouth could be lots of things, including your meds (like Teroid says) so do mention it to your doctor.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

I've become "addicted" to Burts Bees products - they have a lip gloss stick that is SO soothing and moist. Plus cheaper than lipstick. All natural ingredients too.

Also - watch out for sun, it may cause even more irritation - take my advice - wear a hat! 8)

The advice the otehrs have given above is excellent - my tip is only to help you treat the symptom.

hugs dear!

Thanks

Oh yes, Hatlady, I love Burts Bees Lip Shimmer.

TBird...give it a whirl...it healed my dry peely Sjogren's Lips. Sauve it on during the day and before going to bed. And viola...nice lips again.

Find it at your local drug store.

Be well,
    Oluwa

Thanks

Default Dry Lips

I smother vaseline on my lips, especially at night. Works for me!

Thanks

I am not diagnosed with lupus or any autoimmune disorder as of yet, but have many symptoms and am seeing my doctor wednesday. I have had some really chapped/dry lips and they are red and bleed sometimes, and I thought it was so odd because you don't typically get that this soon in the year, and no one else has this in my family or my friends. Maybe there is a connection? Also, I HIGHLY recommend Burt's Bees, the classic one, it's great for your lips!!