Thread: Rashes

Thanks

Default Rashes

Hi everyone... I've been lurking for awhile and have a tentative diagnosis of lupus, just waiting to get into the rheumatologist. Today I woke up with a rash on one side of my face. It's red, raised, and bumpy. Is the butterfly rash I've read about the only one you may get or is that just how it typically shows up? Are there other manifestations of it? Any suggestions for treating or covering it? Does makeup usually make it worse?

Thanks everyone,
    Carrie

Thanks

Default rashes.

Make up and different soaps can make any kind of rash worse. When I asked my rheumatologist about mine, she said there really wasn't much you can do for it.

My skin burns when it is broke out in a rash and sores. And I had a hard time trying to find something that wouldn't hurt so much to moisturize with...even sun block hurt.

My Primary Care Physician prescribed me Magic Butt Cream for the rashes on my face. Yes, it sounds silly..you have to get past that. It really works. It is a diaper rash ointment and when you put it on it smears really thick white and does not rub in. But if you are at home and need relief it does help without the burn. Most people who see me with it on just think I have some kind of face mask on...nobody needs to know.

Its important to wear sunblock every day. I get lectured all the time, my sister is a doctor. She says even all the running in and out in the sun can add up and do damage. She also told me the difference between the UVB/UVA rays. The UVB are the ones that cause your skin to burn. The UVA are the ones that cause us sensitive people to break out in rashes and such. When buying sun block try to get sensitive skin/oil free with UVA/UVB protection and remember to reapply it every couple hours.

P.S. Flourescent lights give off UVA rays...even coated ones have a substantial amount of UVA rays being leaked from them.

One last thing...check your meds. There are quite a few medications that will make you more sensitive to sunlight. This could be contributing to any rashes you may have. Oh and olive oil is a good moisturizer without all that added stuff like perfumes and such.

Hope that helps some.