Thread: Diet Question.

Thanks

Default Diet Question.

I'm sure there are quite a few of you who could relate to weight issues from the lupus, or the drugs used to treat it. Since last fall I have been on large doses of steriods and have gained a substantial amount of weight. At the same time, I recently had my shoulder reconstructed (waiting until it heals to get the other one done) and am recovering very slowing. Meanwhile, I am concerned about my weight, but I can hardly fix a meal because I can't use my arms without a lot of pain. I thought about looking into the meal services, but I can't afford it. Do any of you know of any diet books that would benefit my lupus? I read once that a low sodium diet is a good choice, is that true? Any ideas, really would help. Thank you.

Thanks

Dear also_ran,

I used to be on a high steroid dose and gained A LOT of weight because of 1. increased appetite = more food, and 2. water weight (kidney problem=edema).

I never went back to my original weight but then I never really followed a weight loss diet. However, I did lose some of it when the dose gradually decreased. It just happened overtime, no dramatic lifestyle changes.

But while on steroids, consider eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day instead of 3 large ones. Snack on healthier foods instead of chocolate, crisps, etc. To be honest, it will be difficult to curb your appetite and follow a strict weight loss diet. You will have to put up with the excess weight and wait until you're on a lower dose.

The 3-hour diet, developed by Jorge Cruise, is a good choice. Check how the diet works and sign up for a free recipe to be sent to your email on www.3hourdiet.com. Try to do some exercise when you feel good. 15 minutes of walking will make a difference.

And if you go through the older posts on the forum you will find lots of helpful info. A low sodium diet is necessary if your kidneys are affected by the lupus. And yes, it is highly recommended because having too much sodium causes water retention, which you are not in need of. I'm sure if you google "low sodium diet recipes" you'll get many for free. Check this link for how to reduce sodium: http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu...lowsoddiet.cfm

As for diet books, maybe another member can give you good tips.

Hope that helped,
    All the best, Dina
    I was diagnosed with lupus nephritis, confirmed by bloodwork and kidney biopsy, and mild lupus cerebritis (epileptiform) in June 2004.
    Medications: CellCept, Prednisone; Phenytoin; Lipitor; Zestril, Norvasc; Aranesp (darbepoetin alfa).

Thanks

I agree, smaller more frequent meals are best for weight lose. More water intake, high fiber foods and plenty fruits and veggies. Raw fruits and veggies are best, they help your metabalizm speed up in order to process it. I also read a report that stated the best time to exercise was 3 hrs before bed. I also agree, walking some is better than none. I'm not the size I want to be yet, but it seems to be slowly getting there this way. Good luck, I hope you find some useful info.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Hi Alsoran,

Dandoon shared with you very good information. I do have kidney involvement, and like you, I gained over 70 lbs in a year and a half! I swear, I feel like the Goodyear Blimp!!

My kidney doctor put me on a low sodium diet along with cutting down my portions of meat (size of a deck of cards). Having smaller meals throughout the day has really helped me alot. You're right those home delivery services are so expensive. Don't we all wish it were more affordable....I'd do it in a heartbeat!!

Drinking lots of water and stretching has helped me alot. Walking is good, and I do it when I'm not hurting too bad. But I do try to do something everyday. Being outside has always made me feel better, I live in Seattle where there's mountains and water everywhere, so it doesn't take much time to find a beautiful serene spot to walk or rest.

I wish you the best and hope you're feeling all right. Stay plugged in to this site, the people are wonderful, caring and very supportive.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown