Thread: Your Pets and Your Health.

Thanks

Default Your Pets and Your Health.

Hi. I am new to this forum and not sure if this had been discussed before...but I thought it would be interesting to hear if anyones stories on staying active with their pets.

I, personally, have a small zoo at home. Most all of them are rescued pets (and most of them are disabled in one way or another). I don't go looking for them...they just seem to find me. My entire life has been dedicated to helping animals so its alright by me. But sometimes it can get exhausting...especially when I'm not doing so well. At the same time, the animals are what keep me going most days.

I am currently unable to work, but spend alot of time at the local animal shelter as the resident cat lady. My real passion is building animal habitats. I just went back to school to get my architecture degree. I want to have an online business that specializes in building home specifically designed for each animal and its special needs.

For instance, my rabbit Hemi had a stroke not too long ago and wasn't hardly able to get around. I design a cage for him that was handicap accessable, and had ramps so he was still able to climb (his favorite thing) without feeling as though he was going to fall. I'm happy to say he is doing much better and most days even tries to bunny shimmy to show he his happy.

So does anyone have a special story about their pet and how it helps you cope with your health issues?

Thanks

personally my pets have been a big factor in keeping me sane and having lupus, sure they torture me, but gotta luv it

terry
    Fair Oaks California

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

As most of you know, I lost my daughter to Lupus in 1999. Just before her passing, she adopted a baby kitten "Alexis" who we took into our home. I tell everyone, "If you do not like cats, Alexis will make you love them". Alexis comes up to me, puts her two paws around my neck and lies on my chest and kisses my chin. I mean, she actually hugs and kisses me every day.
    My husband is allergic to cats, so unfortunately, they (I have a male cat of my own also) must spend the night in a room filled with cat toys, cat bed, cat food, a door to an outside pen (as they are de-clawed and both spayed and neutered) where they can get fresh air and sunshine etc. However, every morning when I let them out, Alexis gives me my hug and my kiss and then saunters away to her favorite spot in the house to sun herself in a window or an open door.
    I live for that morning hug and kiss.......
    That's my pet story :lol:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

We currently have 7 cats (each with a great story) and a black lab (belongs to my son) living with us. My youngest daughter works at Petco as a groomer and dog trainer. People often drop off unwanted and sometimes abused animals there, and Meghan often brings them home with her. She recently rescued an abused 5 week old chihuahua, which she plans to keep with her huge German Shepherd. My story is about her most recent kitten acquisition. Meg and the manager noticed a man in the parking lot selling Maine Coon kittens and they told him to leave the property. Later, Meg went out and found a box with the last kitten and a note which said "nobody wants this **** deformed cat". The kitty has three feet with six toes and one with seven toes. When Meg walked in the door with him, I told her that polydactylism (Greek for many toes) is not uncommon among Maine Coons. I have one who is 17 yrs old, but doesn't have unusual toes. We named the little fellow Dax, and he is a kitten with attitude. He truly believes that he is king of the household. He looks like he has snowshoes - those paws are so huge! He is sweet and loving and is already a purry little lap cat. He plays well with the other cats, the grandkids and Meg's puppy. Whoever passed over the little guy just because he was different, missed out on a sweet little pet. I'm enjoying his company a great deal!
    Marla

Thanks

I don't know what I would do without several four footed friends around. They keep me moving and love me no matter what mood I am in on any given day. Right now I am very angry about animals though. Three weeks ago someone poisoned both my cats one week, and my big ol rottie the next week. We think we know who has done this, but have no proof, so cannot take any action against them. My cats and dogs do not leave my property unless I take the dogs when I go horse riding, and then they stay right with me. It was simply a very malitious act against the most inocent of victims. My one lone little westie who is wtill with us cannot understand what happened to all his buddies. It is so sad to watch him stand in the barn and scan the rafters looking for the kitties who where his 'babies'. (When they were kittens, he would pick them up by the scruff and hide them when visitors where over because he was so protective of them.) I love reading about all your furry family members. Bring on the stories, it reminds me of mine and makes me smile.

Thanks

Hi!

I have five cats, which I absolutely adore! I could never live without them; they mean the world to me! I have three male cats and two female cats. Their names are Tiger, Lily, Pebbles, Timmy and Plutarch.

Pebbles still thinks that she is a tiny kitten, even though she is about five and a half years old! :lol: She will also eat ANYTHING, including my Gluten-Free Lemon Poppyseed Muffins! :!: :lol:

Lily is a little bit obsessed with me and won't let anyone else touch her! She is very aloof, quiet and independent, but becomes SO affectionate around me that it is actually alarming!

Tiger's favourite thing is to whine like crazy for food and then only eat two mouthfuls before sauntering away happily! He just sees my mother or I in the kitchen and he starts whining! If there's food there from earlier, he whines for fresh food, so we pick up the dish and then put it straight back down again without changing anything and he thinks that it's new and he eats it! :lol: Tiger has a kidney problem though and has a lot of problems with incontinence. He also gets Eczema very frequently.

I LOVE my cats! They are the best!

Keep well!

Thanks

Default Extra Toes...

A lot of people believe the extra toes comes from inbreeding...but there is actually a trait some cats have (like u said, it is popular in the coons). I don't remember the term for it, but I read somewhere that Ernest Hemingway only kept the cats with the extra toes.

I used to have a cat with extra toes on each foot. He was named Dirty Dingus McGee. He was pretty cool.

Thanks

I've read that it is believed that the Maine Coon may have descended from Norwegian cats brought over by the Vikings. It would make sense that a big foot with extra toes would be an advantage for cats living in cold, snowy Northern climes. Dax is certainly a menace with his extra claws. He leaves some interesting scratches on my legs! I'm calling him "trouble on four big feet". You can probably tell that he has totally won my heart!
    Marla