Thread: Breaking teeth

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Breaking teeth

Hi all,
    I've discovered the strangest thing has been occuring, well for the last couple of years actually. I've found my teeth have started breaking off. I dont eat much candy or sugar for that matter. Last month i was having apple pie, and the tooth broke strange cos apple pie is rather soft.

4 teeth in the back on my mouth has already broken. I am terrified of the dentist, I do not handle pain or dentists very well ops:

Has anyone experienced the same thing before, or does anyone know of any precautionary measure i can take for it
    I intend to live forever, so far so good

Thanks

Default teeth

Hi Morpheus,
    I hate to hear about your teeth. It becomes a real problem, & painful.
    I met a lady in my pcp office that has lupus and she had the same problem with her teeth. As does my sister, but she hasn't been diagnosed with sle.
    I broke a tooth just flossing once, they seem like chalk sometimes.

The dentist told me it was not uncommomn with auto-immune diseases, because your mouth gets dry witch promotes growth of bacteria. His advice was to rinse my mouth very often with water and use a mouth wash with alot of floride, ACT was what he suggested.

i, too am very afraid of the denist. my palms get sweaty, my heart beat increases, i can barely sit still in the waiting room. some dentist will prescribe 1 nerve pill, to be taken 1 hour before the visit. I've done this and it helps, the down fall is you need some-one to drive you. i hate that, i feel so incapable & dependent when some has to drive me some where.
    i like to handle things on my own, but i do alot less of that lately.
    Get to a dentist ASAP, try to save all the teeth that you can, before its too late.
    goodluck
    malay*b

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks so much malay*b. will definitely get the mouthwash.
    The broken one right now is a wisdom tooth i think. Very painfull to have removed . Maybe i can just have it fixed some way or another.
    I intend to live forever, so far so good

Thanks

I'm sorry about your teeth. I have the same problem. My front tooth broke eating a bagel, lightly toasted I might add. It was pretty soft. ops: I too am afraid of the dentist, the bill and drill. I have no dental Ins. and in debt enough as it is. Needless to say I don't smile much or talk often.

I know this doesn't really help you, just thought I'd be honest and tell you it happens to me too. I have 5 broken teeth, brush daily and didn't expect this. Who knows why it happens.

I'll try that brand mouthwash too mayla*b, thanks.
    Cheryl

Thanks

I've been breaking my teeth often, also. My dentist told me that I have really bad TMJ and that I grind my teeth a lot. He also said that TMJ is common in Lupus patients. I'm in the middle of getting tooth-colored crowns on many of my teeth. I'm really quite happy with them. I'm just dreading the oral surgery that I need to remove the roots from a missing tooth and to put in an implant - I keep putting that one off!
    Find a sweet, gentle dentist like mine and have him/her check for TMJ and tooth grinding.
    Marla

Thanks

Hi!

I suffer from T.M.J. Dysfunction Syndrome and Bruxism (teeth-grinding) as well, Magistramarla. It's awful! The E.E.G. Technician discovered the Bruxism during my Sleep Study E.E.G. Test.

I'm really sorry to hear about all of these dental problems that everyone is having ; I don't like going to the Dentist either!

Keep well!

Thanks

Ouch! I just dread dental problems, and I'm so sorry to hear that some of you are going through that. The dentist has never been my favorite person to see. Fortunately, I found a very gentle dentist and he's aware of my health issues so he's really good at watching for signs of problems.

It isn't unusual to find that you are affected by more than one autoimmune disease or disorder. Sjogren's is a disorder that causes dryness, and that can really affect the condition of your mouth, and teeth. Saliva is needed to 'flush' your mouth, and it contains enzymes that are critical to the health of your teeth. So, if you have dry mouth, you could have Sjogren's Syndrome. (Dry mouth alone is not a diagnosis for Sjogren's, but it is a common symptom.) There are mouthwashes and toothpastes that help (Biotine, Oasis) and using a flouride rinse IS a good idea. Here's a link to the Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation website. http://www.sjogrens.org/ Might be helpful info.

I have Sjogren's Syndrome (confirmed by a lip biopsy and some other tests.) It mostly affects my eyes. But, I also have TMJ problems, and grind my teeth at night. I see my dentist regularly, and work really hard on dental hygiene. I've seen other lupus and Sjogren's patients who have lost teeth due to the disease. I'm hoping to avoid that!
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

I have broken a few teeth also! I believe that prednisone can contribute to brittle bones-and teeth? I have been on pred for about 4 years now.
    ***everyone be sure to discontinue your osteoporosis treatment/preventative medication before oral surgery****
    I found out I had 2 teeth that needed to be pulled, however, the oral surgeon would not do it until I had been off my Fosamax for 4 months.
    Nobody I know enjoys going to the dentist, you can get some pre-meds to help. :lol:
    Kimb

Thanks

Wow, Kimb, I didn't know that about osteoporosis meds and oral surgery! I was on Fosomax for several years, this year my doc switched me to Actonel... my dentist does know my Rx's, and I haven't needed surgery, so it hasn't come up.

I too have TMJ, have been wearing a mouthguard at night for...I don't know... maybe 20 years. It really helps.

Thanks

Default Sounds like Sjogrens/Shogrens Syndrome to me - I have it

There's also a medication called Evoxac (I think I'm spelling it right) that they can give you to increase your saliva. I have similar issues and they have me on the med mentioned as well as the mouthwash. But I've basically had almost all my teeth "disintegrate" like that and need root canals and crowns All that's left (non-crowned) are a few on top -- and my dentist tells me its only a matter of time before they go too.