Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted, although I try to keep up with everyone by reading other posts. I see a question about kidney failure on this board but I have a couple other questions maybe someone can answer.

My rheumy is on vacation, but right before she left, we went over my recent labs. My creatinine level is okay, but I have way too much protein and white blood cells in my urine. She ordered a culture for bacteria, and when prodded told me to hope for an infection, otherwise the kidneys were in a lupus flare. Well the labs came back, and while there is "some flora", it wasn't enough to think I had an infection. At least that is what her nurse says since my doc is on vacation.

The pain has kicked in, and I've had some tremendously painful nights. My legs were so restless, I kept my hubby up all night. Since my liver started failing in Jan., I'm only able to take Tramadol and Aleve for the pain, neither of which help tremendously. Another weird thing is that I can feel flutters in my back. Almost like kidney spasms. I've had bladder spasms before, and it feels very similiar, except it's about a third of the way up, only on my right side. To make matters worse, I'm having a doozy of a period. The fatigue is awful, as well as the brain fog. I'm struggling with everyday words, stumbling with my speech.

So with no one to tell me otherwise, I've upped the preds myself to 20mg a day. I could call the back-up rheumy, but usually he just looks at my charts and instructs me to up the preds to 25 until I see her again. My doc is usually more sparse with the preds. (which I appreciate, but right now I think it's the best thing to do). FYI, the other meds I take are plaquenil, Soma, Tramadol, Prilosec, Claritin-D 24, Loestrin (low dose birth control), multi-vitamin, and extra calcium and Vitamin D.

My questions:

If my creatinine is okay, do I still have to worry about the protein?
Do you think the back flutters are connected?
What are my other options if my kidneys are having issue, and the preds do not help?
Is the horrible pain in my legs connected to the kidney issues?

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks, Sonya