Thread: got lupus results back

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default got lupus results back

well, I had written here before that I had a positiv ana and then I was waiting for more bloodwork. Turns out I don't have lupus. I am producing thyroid antibodies and that's why my ana was positive. My thyroid levels are all normal, so I just have to be test every year.

I wanted to know if anyone else had heard of this as I did not come across it while doing all my research about positive ana levels....

thanks,
    lisa

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh Yes, thyroid disease is listed as one of the diseases that will have a positive ANA. Also, there are those of us (myself included) who have Lupus and who also have thyroid disease.
    Are you on medication for your thyroid? Like you, I must be checked once a year, but I am taking medication because I had to have my thyroid removed!!
    I am glad that you did not have a much more serious condition. I wish you the very best and, just because you do not have lupus does not mean that you cannot participate in these forums if you wish to do so.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I have a question, my last Dr. said I probably have lupus but would call it connective tissue disease for now. This Dr has retired so my new Rheumie saw me friday and said have you tried Weight Watchers, I'm like no, first of all I can't breathe, I can barely walk to my car sometimes from going to and from work, then she said you can restrict your food intake, so this was true! But I explained I had all the muscle aches/fatigue etc., before I gained 30lbs in the last 3-4 mo's. So she is wanting to check my thyroid. In doing my own research this weekend, it seems the symptoms seem to correlate w/sle, however I've also read you can have both and they are very common together. I did have surgery 1/06 anterior cervical discectomy which I questioned originally when I was first tested for sle, but I'm not sure if they ran a thyroid test or not. So I go next week to get my TSH done, guess I'll find out then if it's positive or not, if not then what, I mean I know, I've gained alot of weight in the past 3-4 mos' but I've felt really bad, depressed over the weight gain and other symptoms, then my Rheumie said she'd try me on some plaquenil, she said it wouldn't hurt???

Thanks

Oh and then my new Rheumie said what are you doing for pain, I said Lortab 10mg, she was like have you tried Ibuprofen/Tylenol, I said yes Tylenol Arthritis but it just doesn't cut the pain, she was like well that not a very good solution, well whatever! Then she just kept focusing back on my weight gain saying your breathing prob's are just gonna get worse if you don't loose some weight and your cartilage is dissentigrating because of your obesity, Okay now I know I'm overweight but... gaining 30lbs in 3 mo's is causing my cartilage to go away????? I'm just very upset she was focusing to much on my weight and not helping me with my pain. :x

Blog Entries
    Thanks

A thyroid problem can cause weight gain. The thyroid gland's role in the body is very similar to cruise control in the car. Cruise control keeps a car running at a constant steady speed. When we do not want to worry about having to keep a steady foot on the accelerator we turn on cruise control and the car maintains a normal speed without any effort. Thyroid hormone keeps the rest of the body working at the right speed. If thyroid hormone levels decrease, cells throughout the rest of the body decrease in activity. As a result the cells need less energy and thus more energy is available to be stored and the weight increases even though the appetite decreases. Less heat is produced, the person becomes cold, and the sweat glands do not keep the skin moist anymore. The brain just wants to sleep all the time. The heart beats slower. The bowels become sluggish. Everything slows up.If thyroid levels increase, cells throughout the rest of the body increase in activity. As a result more energy is used up, fat and protein stores are mobilised and the weight decreases even though the appetite increases. More heat is produced as a by-product and the person becomes hot, and sweating increases in an effort to get rid of the heat. The brain works overtime resulting in irritability and shakiness, and sleep becomes difficult. The heart beats faster and harder. Bowel activity increases. Everything speeds up.
    People with lupus are more likely to get other problems where the immune system attacks the body. Thyroid dysfunction is one of the autoimmune disorders that is common in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). A little under 1 in 10 patients with lupus suffer with auto-immune thyroid disease. This is where the body attacks the thyroid gland that controls the body's metabolism. A thyroid problem is easily detected with a simple blood test. More importantly, it is also quite easily treated.
    Be more aggressive with your new rheumy and insist that she test you for reasons that might have contributed to your weight gain. Are you on any type of steroids (methotrexate, prednisone etc.)? These drugs can aslo have weight gain as a side effect.
    Please let us know how it goes and keep us advised!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I just received a call frm my Rheumie, they said the TSH came back normal so I was like what do I do now? She was like well do you have a f/up uh no! She said she would get with the Dr and call me back, the Dr did say she would put me on plaquenil saying it couldn't hurt, almost like I'm lying since all my blood work is normal except my ANA which was 1:1180 and my potassium was a little low. I have been on steriods for my breathing prob's so I guess that has contributed to my weight gain. I'm going to join Weight Watchers this week at least I can reduce my food intake. Thanks for your reply

Thanks

Well my Rheumie called back and said they won't put me on plaquenil and I need to f/up with my PCP and loose weight. Can you believe that!!! I called my PCP and he said he would refer me to another Rheumie. I just want to cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hopefully, your new rheumatologist will be more realistic with you and take you more seriously. I'm glad that your PCP understood that you needed a different Rheumatologist.
    Let us know how it goes with weight-watchers. I know many people who have had great success on that program.

Please do not cry...keep fighting for your rights and standing up for yourself. Keep us posted!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie