Thread: Antibody test neg....still have lupus?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Antibody test neg....still have lupus?

Hi all--
    I am concerned because I meet 5 of the 11 lupus criteria, but my antibody tests came back negative. Now my new PCP had decided that this must be in my head....He said it could not be Lupus with a negative test. (ANTI DNA, ANTI SM, FANA)

Is this true? :cry:

Thanks,
    Leslie
    Hoping for an answer....

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Leslie;
    The answer to your question is "No, it is not true that you cannot have Lupus with a negative ANA." Almost all Lupus patients do have a positive ANA, BUT this alone cannot (and should not) be used to make a positive or negative diagnosis of Lupus. You say that you meet five of the 11 criteria; if that is the case, then I would insist on another doctor and another opinion. You have the right to be treated by a doctor who takes your symptoms and your concerns seriously. With a negative ANA, you could have one of the other auto-immune diseases that require treatmenty and need to be taken seriously!!!
    I am sooooooo fed up with doctors who are quick to dismiss us and to tell us that our symptoms are all in our heads, simply because they are not knowledgeable about Lupus diagnosis, symptoms or treatments.
    Do not let your doctor have the last word...demand a rheumatologist who is knowledgeable about Lupus (and or auto-immune diseases), continue to educate yourself about the disease and about auto-immune diseases. Go to your doctor with your questions, information and concerns and demand that he/she listen to you and address each of your concerns!!
    Best of luck and let us know how it goes
    Saysusie :lol:

Thanks

Default Neg. antibody test

Thank you for answering my question. I am thrilled to know that I have a place to air my concerns. Since I originally posted, I have been to my cardiologist who confirmed that something REAL was going on and not an allergy (previous internest's assumption b/c of no antibodies :x ). Although this is not his field he is still very concerned. He has asked me to see one of his hospital collegues. From what he said, this doctor leaves no stone unturned when looking for an answer to mysterious symptoms. So, I have an appointment on March 3rd. Wish me luck! :lol:

Thanks!!!
    Leslie
    Hoping for an answer....

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Trinsmom;
    I do wish you the best of luck :P
    Keep us posted!!

Saysusie