Thread: autoimmune family tree (my 4 yr old may have jra)

Thanks

Default autoimmune family tree (my 4 yr old may have jra)

I was DX'd with lupus Feb 06 after a bad flare that put me in the hospital for a week. I was 35 at the time. I just found out that my 4 yr old (soon to be 5) may have juvenile RA. He has been complaining about knee pain for a while and his ped suggested taking him to an orthodedic (spl). The ortho doc saw him today and said he may have JRA, since it was swollen and his bones looked fine (x-ray). He said they will want to do some blood tests to confirm.

It really sucks that this autoimmune issue seems to be passed along. My father has some issues such as uveitis. His brother has psoriasis (my uncle). I have lupus. Now my son may have jra. I hope and pray that this turns out to be nothing, or that it is a very mild case. So far it is only his knee and he his very active and healthy otherwise.

Anyone have experience with jra? Any advice?

Thanks

I keep getting told over and over that you don't pass Lupus, etc. on to your children, but I keep seeing things in my daughters that worry me:
    1. Hillary has extreme sun sensitivity (easily gets sun poisoning) and has been diagnosed with poly-cystic ovarian syndrome.
    2. Kayla also has problems with ovarian cysts, sun sensitivity, dry eyes, extreme allergies & asthma, urinary tract problems.
    3. Meghan had a recent miscarriage and will undergo laproscopic surgery next month to check for endometriosis and cysts and she recently told me that she loses a handful of hair every time she showers.
    Only my oldest daughter, Heather and my son, Tom seem to have escaped having any strange symptoms, and I'm not holding my breath when it comes to Heather.
    I saw plenty of older relatives with RA, including my mother. Also, both my mother and an aunt died of complications of Alzheimers. I'm truly thinking that we do have some sort of family tree of autoimmune problems going on.
    I'll be curious to see how others respond to your question!
    Marla

Thanks

As if I needed more convincing that Lupus is genetic...I just found out the other day that my favorite niece has tested positive for ANA. Her number is low (15) but I directed her HERE as her first point for education and support, and I hope she uses it. It's stupid I know, but I feel oddly guilty that this has been passed down our bloodline...I know it isn't my fault, but I still feel badly. Then she said (to my sister), "Well, y'all just didn't pass down bad things. People tell me all the time how young I look (she's 40 but looks 30) and I get THAT from y'all!" Love, Kathy

Thanks

Hi Everyone!

I totally agree! Auto-immune diseases/traits ARE genetic!

*My mother has Sjogren's Syndrome and Raynaud's.
    *My maternal grandmother and two of her sisters (my great-aunts) had Hashimoto's Auto-immune Thyroiditis (H.A.T.) and all of them had to have their thyroids removed. My one great-aunt is still alive and is on Eltroxin.
    *My second cousin (on my mother's side of the family) has Rheumatoid Arthritis.
    *My great-grandmother (my mother's father's mother) had Asthma.
    *My father has Alopecia.
    *My paternal grandfather had Alopecia.
    *My uncle (father's side) has Crohn's Disease.
    *My cousin (uncle's son) also has Crohn's Disease.
    *My father had Rheumatic Fever as a young child, which left him with Cardiomegaly (enlarged heart), Bradycardia, another Arrythmia, Mitral Valve Prolapse and Regurgitation and a problem with one of the ventricles.
    *My younger half-brother (six years old) has Asthma.
    *One of my great-aunts had Rheumatic Fever as well. She now has SEVERE Arthritis, Gout and Osteoporosis.

Me: In terms of Auto-immune, I have Sjogren's Syndrome, Raynaud's, Behcet's Syndrome, Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus, Dysautonomia, Interstitial Cystitis, Asthma, Celiac Disease and the Gynae. is pretty sure that I have Endometriosis, although this has not been confirmed via Laparoscopy because I am only sixteen years old. I have Fibromyalgia as well.

Keep well!

Thanks

I have had JRA (age 10) ... now, I'm being tested for Lupus and Sjogren's... My mother had Reynaud's and possibly another autoimmune disease.. She passed from complications of nonHodgkins :cry: and was never tested or diagnoses for an AI.

I watch my children ....and agonize over any and all little ache and pain they feel.. I listen carefully to all dr visits of my niece and sister.... hoping NOT to hear symptoms that would indicate AI.

I feel for you.. take care of yourself and good luck with your little one.