Thread: Midnight Muscle Aches

Thanks

Default Midnight Muscle Aches

Been struggling the past two weeks with this....wanted to know if anyone can relate, and what they did to solve it.

I've been waking up in the middle of the night in horrible pain. The pain is [from what I can tell] mostly muscular. Rolling over is a huge ordeal. Lifting a pillow is painful. I used to sleep REALLY well, but the past few weeks I wake up 3 and 4 times a night with this horrible pain. Wondering if it might be my meds? but I looked up side affects and none really listed muscle pain. I'm on Prednisone 5mg. Plaquenil 600mg, and Motrin 600mg 3x a day.

Can anyone help??

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Your muscle pain may be due to a condition that exists because of your lupus. It could be myalgia (muscle pain) or myositis (muscle weakness). One such condition is fibromyalgia (many of us here suffer from Lupus and Fibromyalgia) or inflammation, which is a direct result of Lupus and is arthritic. Pain is not always due to lupus arthritis. As I said, also can be due to other medical disorders that may complicate or co-exist with SLE, including:
    fibromyalgia
    avascular necrosis of bone
    bursitis and tendonitis,
    other types of arthritis
    infection.
    Many of us, with lupus have muscle pain (myalgia). Fibromyalgia is a chronic disorder, just like Lupus. Its characteristics include:
    - widespread pain in muscles and joints
    - fatigue
    - generalized weakness
    - non-restful sleep.
    Other symptoms of fibromyalgia include:
    - headache
    - changes in mood
    - difficulty in thinking and concentration
    - irritable bowel
    - urinary urgency
    - applying pressure to specific locations on the neck, back, chest, and limbs (tender points) will cause pain and tenderness. Fibromyalgia is estimated to occur in up to 2 percent of the U.S. population and it can also exist with other conditions, including SLE and rheumatoid arthritis.
    Fibromyalgia is treated with NSAIDs and other agents to relieve pain. Other medications can be used to help get restful sleep.

There is also something known as Lupus Myositis. Muscle pain (myalgia) and muscle tenderness (myositis) are common for people with Lupus, especially during periods of increased disease activity (flare), and occur in 50 percent of those with SLE.
    Some people develop inflammation of the skeletal muscles (myositis), which causes weakness and loss of strength.
    Lupus myositis commonly involves the muscles of:
    - the neck
    - pelvic girdle and thighs
    - shoulder girdle and upper arms.

The onset of the weakness can be tricky to detect, but difficulty in climbing stairs and getting up from a chair are early symptoms. Later, there may be difficulty in:
    - lifting objects onto a shelf
    - combing the hair
    - getting out of the bath
    - raising the head
    - turning over in bed.
    The diagnosis of lupus myositis is confirmed by: elevated levels of certain enzymes (CPK, aldolase, SGPT and SGOT) in the blood
    certain abnormalities in an electromyogram (EMG) test which measures electrical activity of the muscle fibers.
    Another test that is sometimes used is a biopsy of the thigh or arm muscle. The tissue is examined under the microscope for evidence of inflammation and destruction of muscle fibers.

It is probably a good idea to discuss this pain with your doctor to determine if it is due to myalgia or myositis. Both can be treated.
    Please keep us posted on what you find out and how you are doing.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Mr. YummyTummy (06-12-2013)