Thread: Menstrual Pain - Off Pain Meds

Thanks

Default Menstrual Pain - Off Pain Meds

Help...

My January labs revealed my liver was failing (test results jumped from 18 to 70... how bad is that?)

My doc took me off all over the counter meds of any type, but most especially the pain meds, no tylenol, advil etc. She also stopped the sodium diclofenate. She gave me tramadol for emergencies, but only right before I go to bed. She also gave me Soma, a muscle relaxer if I need it right before bed. In general I think I have done pretty well considering it's been 5 years since I went a day without pain meds.

The biggest problem I have is menstrual cramps... I can't live in a hot bath, or take a heating pad to work... I've had two really bad periods.

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks

I'm so sorry and I will be thinking of you.

How about acupuncture? Have you tried it? A lot of people, including me, have found it very helpful for a variety of symptoms.

Also, I don;t know what kind of work you do, but if you are at a desk, maybe a rice bag would help - you can heat it in a microwave if you have one at work.......

Good luck!
    Missy

Thanks

Default Yikes.

Menstrual pain with no meds is no fun. I would ask about using Evening Primrose Oil, it's OTC but not a med. It has helped some women with the severity of their cramps.

The other thing is to talk to your doc. Many women with auto-immune disorders also have endometriosis and that is very painful and can lead to infertility. If you have this, it is VERY painful and your doc should be aware of the level of pain.

If you have normal menstrual cramps, no ideas there. Sorry. Reducing sodium intake and caffeine and alcohol can help.

Thanks

Thanks to both of you. I'll try the evening primrose oil. I'll try watching the sodium and caffeine too. No alcohol for me anymore, with the liver trouble. Although one glass of white wine used to be real helpful.

I've been checked for endo, surgery came up clean. It was a few months after that I that was finally diagnosed with lupus.

Prior to that, I suffered with infertility for 3 years, but was blessed with 2 daughters, 2 years apart... now 7 and 9.

The doc is trying low dose birth control pills to regulate me, and hopefully ease the pain.

I saw my rhuemie on Monday and she said that my liver was doing much better, so she recommended I try aleve next time.

thanks for the suggestions..

SonyaLA

Thanks

It tastes incredibly nasty, but if you can find it in a health food store, crampbark tea can help relieve menstrual cramps. I used to drink it a lot back when I had really bad periods from endo, as long as it's sweetened with honey or splenda it's okay. I don't think it has any interactions with aleve, but you could check with your pharmacist to make sure. I also tried to get extra calcium and vitamin b6 to help during my periods, and ate lots of blueberries (fresh and frozen) because they contain a natural form of "aspirin" - I have asthma and can't take real aspirin or NSAIDs, so I have to find alternatives.

Thanks

Default Ablation

I did not have endo but had fibroids, so I had an endometrial ablation. I don't have a cycle anymore. One thing that was a problem was that my gyn did not give me antibiotics and I developed an infection. Then when he finally gave me antibiotics I got a severe upset stomach and was tested and was told the antibiotics killed the good bacteria and I ended up with a bacterial infection in my intestines. I forget what they called it. Then I had to go to yet another antibiotic and live yogurt cultures! With all that the ablation was worth it to get rid of my painful periods! Immune disorders stink!

Thanks

Ouch! I am so sorry to hear about your troubles! I know how painful that can be, I have battled endo for years. I have tried every remedy out there. MaryCain is right about the crampbark tea, it will help but it does taste something fierce. My advice would be to stay clear of caffeine, overly processed foods, fried foods, and salt. At least that is what seems to help me. I also make sure I eat more fruits especially berries and drink lots of water. I have used the Evening Primrose Oil and it seems to help, my Dr also told me to take Milk thistle which seems to help as well. Good Luck! I hope things improve.

Thanks

Default Pilates and Menstral Cramps

This might sound a little out there but you could try practicing Pilates and breathing. It will strengthen your muscles and also help relax them too. I also agree w/doing acupuncture it's very amazing at helping all kinds of pain. I've been off all my meds since doing acupuncture and herbs and that was eight years ago. I'm a BIG believer in Eastern Medicine.

Thanks

I drink lots of water leading up to my period and take iron, zinc and calcium starting two days before I think I might start and that seems to really help. I've been off of b/c pills for sometime (they worked great), but any time I've been off them I have had horrific cramps. I know exactly what you mean about not being able to bring a heating pad to work. I live on my heating pad at home

I also can't take ibuprofen products because of my platelet issues, but again the iron, zinc, calcium and water, laying off the caffeine, eating green leafy vegetables, all seem to help some. The tramadol does nothing for my cramps, but the muscle relaxers do.

WebMD also recommends "Herbal teas, such as chamomile, mint, raspberry, and blackberry, may help soothe tense muscles and anxious moods." and regular exercise, which I've also heard before.

Let me know if you find something that works
    AB