Thread: Just started plaquenil

Thanks

Default Just started plaquenil

I was diagnosed w/ SLE about 4 years ago. My worst symptom is serious, debilitating fatigue. I also have some mild joint pain, crazy arm and leg burning and numbness, and visual floaters. I started plaquenil 3 weeks ago and want to know when I should expect 'results'. My rheumatologist says I need to give it 6 weeks to 3 months.

How long until the hair loss begins?

Thanks

You're rheumatologist is right - it could take that long. It could take even longer, though. Many don't see the full benefit of plaquenil for as long as six months. It does seem to work well for fatigue and joint pain. It sure kicked the fatigue for me. There are side affects for some, but for most it's pretty easy to tolerate. The burning and numbness could be some kind of neuropathy - but it could be a number of other things, too. You might need a neurologist to check that out.

Hair loss isn't a 'given' - I have had a little thinning, but really nothing I would qualify as 'hair loss.' Everyone is different.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

I've been on it for 4 weeks now. My rheumie said it would take at least a month. But everyone is different and some people could take up to 6 months.

My hair was falling out from the lupus- I hadn't heard that plaquenil had that side effect too!

I am over the worst of the side effects now. A week or two I had shocking abdominal cramps and diarrhoea ops: Terrible for a couple of days and then it started to get better.. I didn't really get the nausea thing. From what I have heard- they get better though. Just have to hang in there...