Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: breathing problems

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

My daughter (to whom this site is dedicated) had pleurisy and pulmonary hypertension..both at different times and each time, in one lung! She was put on high doses of prednisone and NSAIDs to reduce the inflammation, reduce the fluid that had built up and to ease the pain.
    Both conditions are common in Lupus patients:
    Pleural Disease (Inflammation of the lung lining) ;
    This is a disorder of the lining of the lung (pleura) and is the commonest manifestation of lung involvement in lupus. Inflammation gives rise to pleurisy, a type of chest pain characterised by sharpness, which is worsened by breathing in. The pain has a knife-like quality. this sort of problem has been recorded in about half of all patients with lupus. It may also occur without giving rise to any symptoms and has been seen in many patients who do not recall having had any chest pain at all. If the pleura does become inflamed then fluid may collect. this is normally small volumes and it is unusual to get large collections around the lungs.
    The fluid that collects around the lungs in patients with lupus has certain characteristic abnormalities which may assist the doctor in diagnosing what the cause of the fluid is. In all patients other causes of fluid in the lungs needs to be excluded. the main lines of treatment are non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs but small doses of oral steroid tablets (Prednisolone) are sometimes required to effectively relieve the pain. More aggressive treatments including surgical removing of the lining of the lung are, fortunately, rarely needed.

6. Pulmonary Hypertension (High blood pressure in the lungs):
    Severe high blood pressure within the lungs is rare but mild cases are much more common. The most common complaints are shortness of breath on exertion and a chronic cough. Fatigue is another common but difficult to assess symptoms. It is thought that there is a strong genetic contribution to the development of this condition. there are a large number of treatments which can be tried, but none are terribly successful.

Here is a web-site that explains all of the ways that the lungs can be involved with Lupus: http://www.infotech.demon.co.uk/Lung.htm

I hope that I've been helpful
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Default Upper Airway Dysfunction

I was diagnosed with a condition called upper airway dysfunction long before I was diagnosed with lupus. I also get mild asthma so when it first started happening they just upped my asthma meds but they didn't help.

I don[t know if it is secondary to lupus or totally unrelated. Does anybody else have this - it's also referred to as vocal chord dysfunction.

Regards, Kaz :P