I'm 22, healthy college student (almost through...student teaching next semester!) and just got all my puzzle pieces put into place (well, I would like second opinions, etc)
My doctor just called me on Tuesday of this last week to inform me of my bloodwork. I had been through my personal doctor, an internist (when they thought I might need bone marrow drawn), and finally, a rheumatologist. It was over the phone, and I had so many questions. I'll save those for around the forum. I'm pretty sure I just typed a novel of questions, but decided to wait and spread them around! Lol.
I don't go back and see my rheumatologist for 2 months. I'm feeling fine except with some mild hip pain that comes and goes. As of right now I'm just on Plaquenil.
My question, though...after the lovely introduction:
How do I let others know? I want to raise awareness and share. I don't want to feel like I'm hiding things. Of course my family knows, some friends, and my fiance. Other than that, I don't know how to do this without getting the "sympathy hug". I DON'T want any sympathy. I don't want to have things handed to me. I don't want others to look at me differently or think I'm trying to bring attention to myself. I want people to see the disease and know about it, and how to help. I don't want them to have pity on me or a label. My family treats me like a baby (which, I live with mom and dad until the end of the summer semester), and I don't want others to do the same. The only person who treats me like a normal human being is my fiance.
Can anyone relate to this feeling? I don't want pity. I don't want special treatment. It could be I'm just really emotional right now...it's really late!
Can anyone tell me how to introduce it without getting all this negative stuff?
Thanks, and thank you for reading a novel. Also, thank you for putting up with poor grammar or typing. I tend to do that when I can...lol.