Thread: Anxiety

Thanks

Default Anxiety

At first, i wasn't sure which board to post this on. I am no where near new to lupus, I've had it since I was 6. It was pretty severe and I was on high doses of prednisone and cytoxin. Now I'm on hydroxycholoquine and 10mg prednisone. However, I'm new to lupus because I'm in my first flare since childhood. And so, I thought the newbie lounge might be best for my particular problem.

I'm 18 and a college student, as it is I have a lot of stress, but NOTHING compares to the anxiety i feel when I think about my lupus.
    Am i the only one that can't get it out of my head? I compulsively read forums and whatever else I can find about lupus in order to find out if my symptoms are in the norm. Usually all that happens is that I learn of new symptoms that I don't experience, then spend time worrying that someday I will.
    I see my rheumatologist and who ever else he refers me to pretty often enough, but I'm always scared that something is missed and that a medical emergency will happen.
    Whenever I pay attention to my heart beat, it seems so fast and heavy. My hair is thinning, my joints ache. I see floaters in my vision everyday and every few days experience occular migrains. All this things scare the crap out of me.
    But this isn't always the case! Sometimes I feel totally normal. I can run around and be a retarded college student. Just whenever I remember that I have lupus it's like I remember that I'm not allowed to have the good time that I used to becuase I'm too fragile. Am I really that fragile?
    Does anyone else feel like this? I'd really love to hear what everyone has to say about me. Am I a hypochondriac? Are my concerns ligit? Should I be less sensitive to my symptoms, and let some of my ailments slide?
    Thanks a lot, this is something that has pretty much ruined my last 3 months.

Thanks

Hello racinie, welcome to the forums,
    I think unknowingly you might have answered your own question, and its a problem we all pretty much have to deal with, stress and anxiety alone will bring on a flare and or more symptoms, ive noticed when i keep my stress level down and manage my day properly things seem to go much smoother, yes i know school can be hell as ive just recently completed a degree program,

Terry
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Default not diagnosed yet, but 20

I am 20 years old and have been going to college for two years now. Ever since I was little I have had aching joints and my doctors said it was growing pains. Then when I started college, I started having worse knee probs and my chest would hurt every once in a while. Then this August I ended up in the ER for chest pains and difficulty breathing. The doctor there had no idea what was wrong and gave me a breather for the future. I have a pretty hard major (pharmacy) and it is pretty stressful and competitive. I am very worried that I won't be able to keep up with the other students in my classes. Especially with the stress of the major. I understand the worries of normal college life also. Even though I didn't know what was wrong with me, my family, friends, and boyfriend have helped me to de-stress. I would probably be in more pain if not for them.

Thanks

Default Anxiety

I notice that anxiety is a symptom of the lupus. I will worry about small things that shouldn't consume my thoughts. When I notice this happening I adjust my meds, I usually will take a low dose of prednisone for a couple days or take a low dose of Cellcept. That ususally knocks the anxiety out for a while.

Monitor your symptoms and maintain a good relationship with your Rheummy or PCP if you have one.

Thanks

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that has to deal with this.
    So, the doctors upped my prednisone to 30mg and started me on cellcept because of possible kidney stuff, but i've been feeling pretty good i guess. a lot of my stress has been removed since i took on a couple of jobs to distract myself. I'm still really sad about having to deal with lupus but i think i'm slowly accepting it. Then again, it's easy to accept having lupus when you feel normal. I'm putting my hope in cellcept. i REALLY hope it works and I can lower the prednisone and have a good, health sophomore year of college. we'll see...

Thanks

Default cellcept

Racine--

Hey! Just a heads up, I'm on CellCept-1000mg twice a day--it makes my stomach VERY upset. Let's just say I've made a new friend in immodium Advanced. :lol: Seems to be worse when I have dairy products--but I'm a little lactose intolerant. Hope you don't have these side effects, but just in case, make sure you're aware of the nearest restroom.
    It cleared up my skin rashes quite a bit!
    Hope it works well for you!