Thread: Lupus and early menopause

Thanks

Default Lupus and early menopause

Hello,

I'm new to this site but I"ve been diagnosed with SLE for 9 years. I've been in remission for 5 years. I spend 4 years on all kinds of meds, including cytoxin because of my kidneys. I found out today that at 32 years old I'm menopausal. I've been doing some research on the internet but I'm not really finding out anything. What I'm trying to find out is can a Lupus person use hormone replacement therapy without complications? I hope someone here may have gone through this and can shed some light. Or some sympathy. I dont think anyone I know quite understands what I"m going through. I feel like my life is kind of over. I dont have kids and now I can't have them. I feel lost again like I did when I was first diagnosed with SLE.
    Does someone know a website that might have some info?

Thanks for listening!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Bebop:
    Welcome to our forum :lol:
    In answer to your questions, women with autoimmune diseases are more likely to have symptoms of premienopause which can begin up to 10 years before the end of your menstrual cycle (and/or before the age of 40). SLE is particularly associated with early menopause, but in most cases, medication for the disease is felt to be the cause of the early menopause.
    There are still unanswered questions concerning hormone replacement therapy with LUPUS patients (especially those whose disease is active). Some studies have found that HRT's have caused activation of SLE and that the estrogens can cause the disease to worsen. However, recent studies have suggested that HRT can be safe for women with Lupus.
    This is an area that I would discuss thoroughly with my GYN and research diligently before delving into any type of HRT.
    Personally, I have been using a HRT for many years now. I am careful to do regular breast examinations and to see my GYN yearly. So far, I have had no problems with the treatment!!
    Best of luck to you!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I am most definately menopausal. The blood test confirmed it. My gyno is the one recommending I start HRT. So I guess for lack of any thing else to do about it I suppose I will. I 'll keep doing research though. I just want to feel safe about it.

Thanks!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Bebopgirl:
    Yes, it is wise to feel safe. Educating yourself about HRT's and Lupus is the best way to make sure that you and your GYN are making good decisions.

Best Of Luck
    Saysusie