Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can lupus mimic MS?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Can lupus mimic MS?

Hi everyone

I have been having symptoms since 2004 and no one can figure out what is wrong.It looks like MS but they tell me that it's not because all of my MRI's are normal.

Now they are saying maybe Lupus but can Lupus mimic MS?

I am going through a flare right now of whatever it is and the symptoms are:

dizziness
    tremors
    problems with my walking(cement legs)
    blurry vision
    numbness in right ear+ringing
    headache
    problems with memory
    sensitive to heat

Sound familar to anyone?I really would like to find some answers.

Thank you,
    Rhonda

Thanks

Hi Rhonda,

Yes, Lupus can mimic a lot of things. That's why it's so hard to diagnose a lot of times. My mom has Lupus and it took them about 7 years to figure out what was going on and they thought she had MS for a while - except all her tests for MS were normal.

I hope this helps a little, but it doesn't mean that you do have Lupus. The doctors need to do some tests to let you know for sure.

Thanks

I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease about 6-7 years ago, and many of those symptoms look very familiar to me. Now that my new GP is thinking Lupus and sending me to a rheumy, I'm wondering if the Meniere's Disease was really just a manifestation of the Lupus?
    Marla

Thanks

in 2002 this is what happen to me, i started getting dizzy/nauseas spells that put me on the ground,along with loud ringing with vision ghosting or spots, mri's cat scans, and spinal taps all showed normal, on june 15th 2003 i had a very bad spell with a loud snapping in the back of my head,a new mri showed a infarction in my brainstem, this was along with symptoms of sle lupus/kidney involvment, after a 3 month rest period i was back to normal stroke wise with no leftovers, in early 2006 i started going into a real bad lupus flare and was finally diagnosed in dec 2006, i havent been able to work since,

Keep in mind all lupus sufferers have different symptoms(some mild,some severe) and most go into remission, i can trace symptoms back alot farther than 2002 but had no idea as to the cause
    i stay real close with my doctors so they dont lose track of me

Terry
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

I've had the classic Meniere's symptoms - ringing in the ears, dizziness, and loss of hearing. I've lost a lot of the low frequencies. This gets a little crazy in the classroom. Teenaged boys tend to mumble, and they are very difficult for me to hear. Luckily, they are fairly patient with me, and don't mind repeating themselves too much.
    Marla

Thanks

Hey i know all about that teenage boy problem, I call my 16yo happy feet, for the penguin called mumble in that movie, and yes ive lost low tones in my ears also,
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Teriod,
    So do we really have Meniere's disease, or is it just a part of the wonderful world of lupus? Or is it that Meniere's is yet another autoimmune disease that tends to show up along with lupus? When I first met my new GP, she listened to all of my little complaints, then ordered a list of blood tests. When I saw her again to discuss the results, she told me that what I told her made her think of autoimmune diseases. Was it the fact that I mentioned Meniere's that clued her in?
    Marla

Thanks

gosh I really hope you're wrong about the Meniere's being a part of Lupus. I already have high pitched spectrum hearing loss...If I lose the low end... and if my final diagnosis remains Lupus...I'm in big trouble :?

Thanks

My question is my Dad has Meniere's disease but has no other symptoms like lupus, just the dizziness, throwing up, ringing in the ears, slight parkinsons'. I hve a great aunt who has sle, I have yet to comfirm the dx of sle but a physician I work with who has retired said it's probably lupus and my PCP has said this as well but a new Rheumie I saw just disregarded the whole thing and told me to loose weight. I'm curious now to see if there is a correlation between meniere's disease and lupus.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Morningstar :lol:
    Meniere's Disease causes hearing loss, pressure in the ear, tinnitus, severe imbalance and vertigo. It usually begins in both men and women in the thirties or early middle age. The symptoms of Meniere's Disease come in cycles: The patient can suffer from several episodes which can last for several months at a time; then, it generally subsides (kind of like relaps/remission syndrome in Lupus). In some people, the symptoms seem to be more severe in the spring and/or the fall or when they are under extra emotional stress.
    Ten to 15 percent of cases resembling Meniere's Disease may be the result of an immune disorder of the body (such as Lupus), where the system is producing antibodies which attack the inner ear.

There is a small distinction between Meniere's Syndrome and Meniere's Disease:
    Ménière disease and Ménière syndrome are both believed to result from increased pressure within the endolymphatic system. However, Ménière disease is idiopathic (develops on its own), whereas Ménière syndrome can occur secondary to various processes interfering with normal production or resorption of endolymph (eg, endocrine abnormalities, trauma, electrolyte imbalance, autoimmune dysfunction - like Lupus, medications, parasitic infections, hyperlipidemia). In other words, Ménière syndrome refers to endolymphatic hydrops caused by a specific condition (eg, thyroid hormone disease, inner ear inflammation due to syphilis). Ménière disease refers to endolymphatic hydrops with unknown etiology (cause); it is the catch term for idiopathic endolymphatic hydrops. Autoimmune diseases (eg, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis) may cause an inflammatory responses which lead to Meniere's Syndrome.

I hope that I've answered your question. Let me know if you need anything furhter.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie