Thread: anemia

Thanks

Default anemia

ive just been informed that more tests are needed now because
    the levels of iron are dropping very low now.

im also on tablets to treat lupus now,but im worried about the iron levels.
    my ANA is 1.8

Thanks

I'm sorry for the problems your having. Not to sound rude, but what is it you would like to know or need info of? I'm not quite sure of what your asking? Would love to help if I can, if I can't I'm sure one of the others here can. There's some really smart people here looking to help others.
    Cheryl

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

What medications are you taking "To treat Lupus"? Was your ANA 1:8 or 1:80 because there is a great difference in the numbers. If your ANA was in fact 1:8, in most places that would be considered negative. Most labs consider ANA Lower than 1:20 as a negative result.
    Blood disorders are common in lupus and can be very important. The most common blood disorder is anemia, affecting about half of all people with active lupus. Anemia can be measured and discussed in several different ways, including a low red blood cell count, low hemoglobin, or low hematocrit. Each doctor usually has a preference for using a particular term. In the most important sense, anemia means too little hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is the protein inside red cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to all the tissues of the body. Fatigue, a very common lupus symptom, is generally the first and most common symptom of anemia. Anemia is not a specific condition, but has many causes. In a person with lupus, anemia may be caused by chronic inflammation, prolonged uremia, iron deficiency, or hemolytic anemia.
    Iron deficiency, another common cause of anemia, is due to loss of blood from the body. Women with heavy or frequent menstrual periods may become iron deficient. Drugs used in the treatment of lupus, such as aspirin and Prednisone, can irritate the stomach and cause internal bleeding, thus resulting in iron-deficient anemia. In some cases, the seepage of blood from the stomach causes the stools to turn black. If this occurs, a person should immediately contact his or her physician. In other cases the blood loss is inapparent and detectable only by special examination of the stool (the guaiac test). Any anemic patient should have a test for blood loss from the stomach or intestines, since the source of bleeding requires identification and treatment. In contrast to anemia caused by chronic inflammation, treatment with iron tablets rapidly corrects iron-deficient anemia.
    The treatment of anemia in lupus depends on its cause. Inflammation can be reduced with drugs such as prednisone. For iron deficiency, iron given orally, such as ferrous sulfate or ferrous gluconate, is almost always effective. In the case of bleeding, the source should be determined in order to correct the problem. Erythropoietin or darbepoietin may be given to individuals with kidney problems to stimulate the bone marrow to make more red blood cells. The same may be given to patients with anemia who are taking azathioprine or cyclophosphamide. For hemolysis due to antibodies, prednisone and other drugs are often helpful, but sometimes the best treatment is splenectomy. This is an abdominal surgery to remove the spleen (which may be done laparoscopically, that is, with small incisions in the abdominal wall). The treatment of TTP is complex, requiring blood plasma exchange by machine.

I'm not sure if this is the information that you were looking for. Let us know if you need anything further.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie