Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to lupus

Thanks

Default New to lupus

Hi everyone,

I am new to both lupus and this forum. I’m still kind of in a bit of shock that I have this disease… I’m a 38 year old male, who was super healthy up till about a year ago. But now my symptoms all make sense with not sleeping well, fatigue and my joint pains… I really did not know I had a problem until I had to quit a job, because of the pain, and went to the doctor. I was working for American Eagle out on the ramp with the aircraft service equipment, and it hurt to pull the aircraft power cables around, and I had a bad chest infection that developed.

I just retired from the USAF last June (06), and served in Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia. I took the Anthrax shots and I have learned that there is a connection to men, lupus and the anthrax vaccination, GWS. I am lucky in many ways that I have medical coverage, and a pension to help my family. I started a real-estate inspection firm in my town that is not so physically demanding, and I can arrange my schedule around bad days, or take a day or two off if I over do it when crawling through attics or under foundations. I actually started my business about 1.5 years ago, but now I inspect full time. I really like being self employed… Its rewarding and scary.

I kind of feel like the odd man out so to speak with Lupus and on this forum, but that’s OK, because I’m different than most guys… So if any one has any question about houses, I have lots of answers… I’ll probably have lots of question about lupus and how to deal with it from you folks… so it’d be a good horse trade.

See you all later

Cort

Thanks

hi and welcome

shane

Thanks

Welcome Iron Cowboy!

Thanks

Welcome Iron Cowboy and congrats on your business. Thank God you had something else going.

In case you didn't see it, there is a men's section on the forum. But the ladies look forward to chatting with you too so don't feel odd.

Thanks

Welcome! It's nice to have you here. It sounds like you have been really successful in adjusting your life/work to living with Lupus. I'm sure you'll be a great support to others as well!
    Missy

Thanks

Iron Cowboy:

Thanks for your blood, sweat and tears and all the others that went to Iraq to protect America!

Thanks

It would be great to give support back to so many people that supported us military folks when we were over there in Iraq and Afghanistan. So if I can be a small inspiration to people that would be great. Actually I am in counseling for PTSD, and it’s going OK. I’ve plowed a lot of psychological ground that is pretty uncomfortable if you know what I mean, I was shocked at some of the things so many people in third world countries do to each other… the ethnic hatred is very deep, and the religious intolerance is also very deep, and you know that things are very wrong there when they strap explosive to kids to kill their opponents. Originally I though my Lupus symptoms we all in my head, or stress, or something else altogether. I was really shocked to find I have Lupus. The military was a great place for me, and I managed to get several college degrees and raise a family and all as well. I guess my one blessing is the military helped shape my attitude into a no pain no gain, and you get out what you put in. I miss the service by my body sure does not, it’s a young man or woman’s world, that’s for sure. I think I’ll check out the men’s forum… I hurt today...
    It hurts when I do that...

Thanks

welcome to the boards prop jockey
    or should i say welcome aboard
    are you VA???

man i hate that kitten thingy
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Hi iron cowboy!
    I'm an Air Force wife who also lives in Texas - down in San Antonio. My husband is a Lieutenant Colonel with 25 years of service and our son Tom served in Iraq with the Marines. Thankfully, like you, he is safely back. I know what you mean about the military attitude shaping our reactions. It works for military wives, too. I've spent many years taking care of kids, houses, cars, etc. while he is off on TDY! I'm new to this Lupus thing, but I'm also determined to not let it change my life too much. I'm determined to keep teaching and being there for my own kids and grandkids as well. I'm glad to welcome you to this little group of friends. Welcome from the Air Force wife in the group!
    Marla

Thanks

I’m glad your husband made it back safely. I am actually going to be in San Antonio on the weekend of the 15th of June. My oldest daughter enlisted in my beloved Air Force, and she graduates boot camp that Friday. I can’t even put into words how proud of her I am right now, and yet I don’t want her to deploy, but I know she will do well if she does. I can’t wait to see her in her Air Force uniform… My mom and Aunt will be coming down too. Those two women were such an inspiration to me growing up. Both were US Marines and served from 1950 to 53, and mom was a drill Sgt. She rattled my cage on a few occasions growing up… I’m not just a retiree; I’m now an AF spouse and dependent. My wife in still on active duty… So I have two ID cards, my retiree ID card, and my dependent ID card that I plan to give to the Security Police if I get into trouble on base.
    It hurts when I do that...