Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluten Issues

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Gluten Issues

I have suspected that I might have a sensitivity to gluten and have been experimenting with elimininating it from my diet. I mentioned that to my rheumatologist so she did a blood test to determine if I had Celiac disease. It came back negative. However, she said the only way to know for sure is to do an intestinal biopsy (I think...did I get that right?) Anyway, some of the gastric problems seem better when I'm 'off' gluten. And, when I re-introduced some back into my diet, I did experience some of the bloating, gas, etc. that I had before. So, is it possible to have a problem with gluten without having Celiac disease? Or, am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

From what I know people with lupus do a lot better elliminating gluten, eventhough they are not celiac. I wouldnt put yourself through a colonoscopy if you dont need one. If you feel better off the gluten then stay off the gluten.

I know it is hard, I have tried it too...it is so hard.

Good luck. Tanya

Thanks

Thanks, Tanya. It does seem that way. I've been doing so-so at eliminating gluten. It is very hard! I read labels, and have been cooking 'from scratch' as much as I can....fresh ingredients whenever possible. But, it's still hard. And it can be expensive, if I try to buy gluten free products at the whole foods coop. But, I'll keep trying.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

what is gluten?????isnt that the same thing that is causing kidney problems in pets??? makes a person wonder
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

gluten=
    [GLOO-tihn] Wheat and other cereals that are made into flour contain proteins, one of which is glutenin, commonly known as gluten. Viewed alone, gluten is a tough, elastic, grayish substance resembling chewing gum. It's the gluten in flour that, when a dough is kneaded, helps hold in the gas bubbles formed by the leavening agent (see leavener). Gas contained within a dough or batter helps a bread or other baked good rise, creating a light structure. Most (but not all) flours contain gluten in varying amounts. Bread (or hard wheat) flour has a high gluten content and is therefore good for yeast breads, which require an elastic framework. On the other hand, low-protein (and therefore low-gluten) cake flour has a softer, less elastic quality and is better suited for cakes. See also bread; flour; seitan.

Thanks

Hi!

I have Celiac Disease and it's SO annoying because Gluten is in EVERYTHING! :x

Keep well!

Thanks

i'm toying with the same thing too. in addition to my lupus, my ladybug has (what we thnk to be) food triggered eczema. so far we've been able to keep it at bay thanks to many recommendation from this very board. (lots of flaxseed oil!)

good luck dearie

Thanks

Interestingly, my rheumatologist said that Celiac disease, or a sensitivity to gluten, is more prevelant in people of Irish descent. I'm about half Irish. Learn something new everyday!

Jody

Thanks

Default Lupus and Nutrition

I became a vegan when I found out I had lupus eight years ago and am also starting the gluten free diet due to excessive fatigue which is quite common for gluten sensitive people, and lupus folks of course. I don't find it too hard because I'm not a huge bread eater. I've done research on google under "celiac disease" and many people can tolerate rice. Our whole food stores in San Francisco sell rice bread for those of you who need some starchy kinds of food. I stick w/a mediteranean diet and asian diet mainly and eat lots of veggies. I'm so tired of being exhausted that I'm giving this gluten free diet a try. My friend w/MS is doing it and seems to be helping her. Most people don't want to try the nutritional route of helping themselves w/lupus because it's so hard but I've found throughout the years that vegan keeps me from flaring. I look around and see others eating sugars and fats and think those foods are known to kill/slow down your immune system or hurt it. Why not try fresh foods for a change?

Thanks

I know you're right - watching my nutrition is important, and I'm really just beginning to pay close attention to it.

I haven't been the healthiest eater and this is a challenge for me. I can find a wide variety of gluten free foods in my community, so that's not a problem. I'm working on cooking with fresh ingredients, but that's not always easy. But, the more I do it, the better - it's certainly an improvement. I'm doing well right now - feeling almost normal sometimes - so I have a little more energy for cooking from scratch.