Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trying to conceive and newly diagnosed lupus

Thanks

Nekhbet -

I'm so sorry to hear of your miscarriage. This is maybe my biggest fear. My husband and I want a baby so badly. I think I mentioned before that my rheumy gave me the 3 month speech. For lack of anything else to be done, I'm going to see an obstetrician for a "pre-pregnancy consultation" She handles high risk pregnancies and they rarely take patients who do not do the consultation. They were my GP's wife's obstetrician and when I called and told them I had lupus, they said, "No worries, we have had lots of patients with lupus deliver healthy happy babies." I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've been off B/C pills for over two years (we weren't exactly trying not to get pregnant, but we were actively trying either) when I found out I had lupus. We refused to go back on the pill, but have been using other contraceptives. - This last part was likely to much information...sorry ops:
    AB

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Librarian :lol:
    Yes, I was asking you about your appointment. You are doing the right thing in attempting to find another rheumatologist. I am a big advocate of finding a doctor who will listen to you, take your symptoms seriously and work with you in your treatment plan. I applaud your fight and your willingness to stand up to your doctor and to let her know exactly why you were not satisfied and that you are intelligent enough to know that you have the right to find another doctor!
    You are probably better off doing so, especially if she is willing to lie in order to cover up her mistakes!
    Keep us posted about your new doctor or if this one decides to step up and be a real doctor!! :lol:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Nekhbet;
    I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your unborn child. My daughter suffered two early miscarriages with Lupus as did I. It is a very hard thing to have to bear.
    However, it sounds as if your doctors are at least willing to work with you and your husband in your efforts to have a child. I know that it is a waiting game, but the game plan seems to be a reasonable one.
    There are several schools of thought regarding plaquenil and pregnancy, but there have been many successful pregnancies while using plaquenil. So, with careful monitoring, it has more pros than cons!
    Have you thought about getting an obstetrician who specializes in high risk pregnancies (like Librarian) in order to help you when you decide to start trying to get pregnant again. It might help to have this person included in your team of doctors to ensure that your timing is best and that your future pregnancy is successful.
    I wish you and your husband the very best and will keep you both in my prayers!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi,
    Sorry I had to cut my reply short -

Librarian- I am really sorry to hear of your crappy appointment. What is wrong with wanting to get another Dr.. It is your choice.. And with her only spending 5 minutes with you- grrrr. I would be going anyway.

Thanks- I was really saddened by the miscarriage. After all that time trying- it felt so *unfair*. When the test came up postivie- even though we were not trying as such it was like life was finally better (after the last few crummy months dealing with all this). Then I lost it. I'm actually doing better strangely. I think some of that is that the plaquenil is making me feel better physically- a little more energy and so that is reflecting in my mood.

But after losing the baby- it just makes you realise how much you want this. Now I really want to try anyway. Great idea with the obstetrician. I had a fertility consult with my gynae just before we were told not to conceive (which I then cancelled). Maybe I should get another appointment...

(also just so you know- I'm a member of a online fertility charting group- beleive me I hear much more info then that )

Ugh gotta go again- will look at other posts later