Thread: Terrible Nightly Attacks of Fasciculations!

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Terrible Nightly Attacks of Fasciculations!

Hi!

I have been suffering from Fasciculations for quite a long time now (especially after Tonic-Clonic (Grand Mal) Seizures), but a few days ago, this became worrying and unbearable. Now, I will wake-up in the middle of the night, quite a few times, and experience terrible attacks of Fasciculations all over my body. You know the phrase which they sometimes use for people with Tourette's Syndrome - "Convulsing with Tics" - when they are stressed or upset? Well, I am convulsing with Fasciculations! :shock: This is painful and frightening. It is as if every singe muscle in my body is fasciculating at the same time and in a ripple effect - passing from one to the other.

I am also having terrible problems with my muscles having become very weak recently. I am finding it almost impossible to lift my arms above my head! I do have mild Hypotonia, but that has always affected mainly my back and my feet. I also have Fibromyalgia.

Does anyone know what this is or what could possibly be causing this? Marycain?

Thanks and keep well!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am not a doctor and cannot diagnose you. However, you symptoms (including the Fasciculations) sound a bit like my best friend's disease: Dermatomyositis. an autoimmune reaction or a viral infection of the skeletal muscle may cause the disease. It can affect people at any age, but most commonly occurs in people 40 - 60 years old, or in children from 5 - 15 years old. It affects women much more often than men. One of the primary symptoms is muscle weakness. Muscle weakness may appear suddenly or occur slowly over weeks or months. There may be difficulty with raising the arms over the head, rising from a sitting position, and climbing stairs. A dusky, purplish red rash may appear over the face, neck, shoulders, upper chest, and back. Joint pain, inflammation of the heart, and lung (pulmonary) disease may also occur. A malignancy may sometimes be associated with this disorder.
    There is a similar condition that is called polymyositis, this occurs when the other symptoms occur without any skin manifestations.
    The fasciculations along with the muscle weakness (whatever the cause) can be the sign of something serious and the condition I listed above is only one of many that it could be. It could indicate that there has been some neural damage. I would suggest that you advise your doctor about this combination of symptoms so that treatment can begin immediately!
    Please let us know what you find out.
    Here are some of the other neurological reasons of muscle fasciculations:
    Multiple sclerosis (devastating neurological disease)
    Compression of nerve by a spinal disc or tumor in the spinal cord
    Lou Gehrig's disease (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
    Cervical spondylosis
    Poliomyelitis (an infectious disease)
    Different types of Motor neuron disease
    Thyrotoxicosis (the overproduction of thyroid hormones)
    Polymyositis or dermatomyositis
    Neuropathies (because of diabetes or vascular disorders)
    Myokymia (a rare disorder of central nervous system)
    Lithium poisoning (for example, lithium is used used in the treatment of bipolar disorder)
    Syringomyelia
    Spinal muscular atrophy
    Inherited Muscular dystrophy
    Myopathy
    Methyl parathion poisoning
    Poisoning by organophosphates (the stuff to rid off roaches)
    Werdnig-Hoffman disease

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Saysusie!

Thank you SO much for your response!

I do not have the dusky, purplish-red rash, but then again, I don't know what it looks like. However, I do have Arthralgia and lung problems and am definitely having terrible problems with muscle weakness (including difficulty climbing up stairs), so I will certainly speak to my doctor about this. My Paediatrician/Paediatric Cardiologist is away for a week (working), but I will make an appointment with him as soon as he gets back to discuss this.

I am a female, but I am sixteen years old and will be seventeen in September, so I suppose I'll just have to wait until my Paed./Paed. Card. gets back.

Thank you, Saysusie for all the effort and time you put into your response! I really, really appreciate it!

I will keep you posted on what my Paed./Paed. Card. says.

Thanks again and keep well!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are most welcome...please keep us posted!

Saysusie