Thread: MSM

Thanks

Default MSM

This was probably already posted before, but I thought i'd make it anyways. Has anyone had any luck with Methyl-sulfonyl-methane (MSM) with joint pain and hair regrowth?

Has MSM also made your hair more healthy? or did it just made it grow faster?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've never used it, but here is what I found out about it:

Sulphur has recently become a popular nutritional supplement and topical treatment, thanks to the discovery of methylsulfonylmethane, or MSM.
    An American chemist named Robert Herschler, began studying MSM in 1955. However, another man, Dr. Stanley Jacob with Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland, is considered by many to be the father of MSM. He concluded that MSM is the chief healing ingredient in dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO).
    Dr. Jacob found that simple marine life like algae and plankton convert inorganic sulphur to organic sulphur compounds. These compounds are known as dimethylsulfonium salts. These salts are transformed into dimethyl sulfide (DMS), which is released into the atmosphere and is converted by ultraviolet light into dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). When DMSO oxidizes, it turns into MSM and is absorbed by plants that become food for animals and humans. MSM is a white, crystalline powder that is odorless and nearly tasteless. When taken as a dietary supplement, MSM proved to have the same health benefits as DMSO without side-effects such as bad breath, itchy skin, nasal congestion, and shortness of breath.
    When it came to hair, drs. Stanley Jacob and Ronald Lawrence reported that 100% of their patients taking MSM experienced increased hair growth. Although these results are intriguing there is no widely-published evidence that taking excessive amounts of MSM will improve health problems or hair growth unless a sulphur deficiency is present first in the patient. Some of the first signs of a sulphur deficiency are dry skin, and brittle hair and nails. Other symptoms may include sore joints and muscles, diabetes, headaches, allergies and fatigue.

It is always best to discuss using any products with you doctor before consuming them!!
    Best of Luck

Saysusie

Thanks

Lol I probably should tell my docter, but you know how docters are when you ask them about various supplements.