Thread: energy drinks, do they work?

Thanks

Default energy drinks, do they work?

i have lupus and polymyositis. i suffer with chronic fatigue and weakness.

i wanted to know has anyone tried any of the energy drinks. if so, do they seem to help and what ones do you use?

let me know
    thanks

nicole

Thanks

Default Hi, Nicole

Most "energy drinks" are basically caffeine and sugar with some herbs, amino acids, and vitamins thrown in to make you think you are getting something healthier than soft drinks or coffee. They may be fine if you need an occasional pick me up or need to pull a late night, and you don't like the taste of coffee, but they don't provide long term energy, and many people are sensitive to the caffeine. Some college students mix them with alcohol in order to get a buzz, but this is a very dangerous combination, and some people have died from it.

The main ingredients in many energy drinks include caffeine, sugars, taurine, guarana, ginseng, b-vitamins, gingko biloba, l-carnitine, and anti-oxidants. There is certainly nothing wrong with these amino acids and herbs, but most energy drinks don't contain enough to be beneficial - the "energy" comes from the caffeine. A typical energy drink contains 70-200 mg. of caffeine, whereas a cup of instant coffee has about 40-60 mg, a cup of brewed coffee has 110-150 mg. and a can of Coke has 50. Guarana, found in many energy drinks, also contains caffeine and other stimulants, although it's not listed as caffeine on the label. If you are taking the medication theophylline for asthma, you shouldn't use products containing guarana as it can lead to a toxic overdose. If you want the beneficial effect of these herbs and amino acids, you can find several good supplements which contain them in most natural food stores, at a much better price than getting them from energy drinks.

If you're sensitive to caffeine, or have high blood pressure or heart or kidney problems, you should probably check with your doctor before using any of these products.

I don't know about polymyositis, but some rheumatologists are using DHEA for lupus fatigue. You might ask your doctor if it would be helpful for you. I know it sounds strange, but one of the most effective treatments for lupus fatigue is mild exercise. I know this would be difficult with polymyositis, but perhaps your doctor could recommend physical therapy or rehabilitation. It's especially important for you in order to avoid muscle wasting and atrophy from the myositis.

Some people with myositis benefit from accupuncture treatments, and many insurance companies cover the cost. So this might be something to consider.

I hope you might some answers soon - it's hard to be tired all the time. But having the jitters from too much caffeine doesn't feel too good either, so be sure to check the labels on the drinks!

Thanks

I know it's not technically considered an Energy drink, but have you ever tried the Emergen-C Vitamin C packets? They have other vitamins and minerals in them too. They claim to give you more energy naturally and dissolve in water and taste really good. They come in all different flavors; my favorite is tangerine. I drink two a day and it seems to give me the boost I need to get going when I'm super tired. Plus it helps get rid of my headaches.
    You can find them in the pharmacy/vitamin section of most stores. I buy mine at Walmart. Hope this helps!

Thanks

Default Energy drink

While Monavie is not an energy drink as such, I found that helped me tremendously. Its called MonaVie - a blend of 19 fruits full of antioxidants, phytonutrients and other stuff. I got it from a woman at -contact me for the web site --------. It worked great for me, let me know if you have the same results.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is the 8th or 9th post you've made about this particular product. I'd hate to think that you are a spammer attempting to sell something here. If that is the case, please do not use this site to sell products. That is not the purpose of this site! As such, I deleted your other posts. If your continue, I will have to block you from this site.
    Please respect the rules of these forums.

Saysusie

Thanks

Default response

I am just so excited about the results I've had. Sorry if I seemed to agressive. I didn't mean to bother anyone. Just hoped I could share the benefit I found.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie
    This is the 8th or 9th post you've made about this particular product. I'd hate to think that you are a spammer attempting to sell something here. If that is the case, please do not use this site to sell products. That is not the purpose of this site! As such, I deleted your other posts. If your continue, I will have to block you from this site.
    Please respect the rules of these forums.

Saysusie

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

We have to be very careful here with spammers as we've been inundated with them lately. So, you need only post in one forum and everyone will read it. We get highly suspicious if a person posts the same thing in each forum!

Saysusie

Thanks

Sure it will, it has loads of caffeine in it haha. Although drinking it might cause allertness, but because of all the sugar and caffeine you'll crash, and feel more tired and drained after.

Also if you're sensitive to caffeine, you'll be up all night, even drinking it in the afternoon can have an affect on your sleeping patterns. Also if you're already on medication like prednisone that already causes insomnia then you should be wary of caffeine.

If you want the benefits of caffeine, just drink a cup in the morning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sary
    Sure it will, it has loads of caffeine in it haha. Although drinking it might cause allertness, but because of all the sugar and caffeine you'll crash, and feel more tired and drained after.

Also if you're sensitive to caffeine, you'll be up all night, even drinking it in the afternoon can have an affect on your sleeping patterns. Also if you're already on medication like prednisone that already causes insomnia then you should be wary of caffeine.

If you want the benefits of caffeine, just drink a cup in the morning.
    There is no caffene in Monavie, just 19 different fruit juices. no added water or anything. I find that caffene doen't help when I get low energy, as you said, it wears off and you are worse off than before you had the coffee.

I get a real low enegry slump around 3:00 in the afternoon. Once I'm past that I seem to be able to do ok.