Thread: How do i induce a flare for further testing?

Thanks

Default How do i induce a flare for further testing?

Hi,
    I was just given the diagnosis of Lupus yesterday after having my first "real" flare recently. My hubby and I have been trying to conceive for the last 16 months (without success) and was actually due to begin "serious" fertility investigations next month. The Rheumatologist has told me absolutely *not* to get pregnant for a while. I guess the appointment is cancelled

Problem is that I have a history of DVT, and am worried about any future pregnancy as I suspect I may have the anticardiolipin antibody. The doc ordered blood and urine tests for anticardiolipin, along with lots of others to look at severity. He said to wait for a flare and then go in for the tests. But he put me on plaquenil (which he said would take a month to work) and told me not to have any Prednisone (I've been weaning off it for weeks and I'm now off it - not that I am happy about it )- as he wanted me to flare so I can test.

I was thinking though- I want to be sure that I don't have this antibody. After so long trying- I don't want to go though pregnancy and miscarry because I wasn't diagnosed properly. That would be heaps worse then letting myself flare. So I want to have a good flare for testing before the plaquenil kicks in. Stupidly enough I am worried that I might not. I'm feeling terrible now with my joints/muscles and skin but my temperature has gone back to normal. I guess what I am asking is how do I make myself have a big flare? I know how insane it sounds- but once it starts I am allowed to take the prednisone for flares (after the blood test).

Thanks

Thanks

You should be able to have the test for anticardiolipin antibodies and antiphospholipid antibodies whether you are in a flare or not. I have both of them, and the levels stay pretty constant whether or not I am in a flare or taking medication. I would call the doctor back and make sure he wanted you to wait and have these specific tests done.

Thanks

Thanks for replying Mary. That is definatly good to know- I feel a lot better knowing I won't miss this marker. Could it be the length of time you have been diagnosed with it mean you have consistant levels though??? Do marker levels become more stable with time?
    But then maybe the idea of the flare thing was more for the urine/kidneys thing as well as other severity markers + dsDNA (which was missed in my pervious panel for some reason) rather then these ones. Which makes sense I guess. I think I will give them a call back.

I'm still trying to get my head around this. I think my DH is worried. He wants another diagnosis mainly because he doesn't like this one. He keeps saying how serious it is, and all these ways i can die (he is a dr). I'm telling him i'm on the meds and they are new and better and he is saying it is just slowing it down (which is sorta true I guess). He keeps saying he wants me to be *realistic*. *sigh*. I guess he does see the worst of the worst etc (he is a dr). I told him he wasn't seeing all the healthy lupus patients out there- he replied with "did u ever see an old person with lupus"-- well no because i only know one other person with lupus . I don't feel like i am in denial though..
    The stupid thing is that then he complains that I have been working 1/2 days this week due to exhaustion/pain etc as "we need the money". No support there-- sorry off topic. ops: