Thread: Lupus Diagnosis Help Please!

Thanks

Default Lupus Diagnosis Help Please!

Hi all,

I'm so thankful for finding this forum. I am a 27 year old female living in New York City and in the past couple of months, have been to more than six doctors (mostly related to an eye irritation).

I have the following symptoms:

--Mild joint pain (have had it for years--mainly in my left hand/arm with tingling and a little swelling--feels like carpal tunnely)

--Mild skin rashes very rarely (not sun-related)

--Shortness of breath on rare occasions

--Very dry eyes and mouth

--Low Positive ANA (1:80, homogenous). All other autoimmune tests came back negative

--Occasional oral sores (like canker sores)

My doctors tell me that I don't have lupus but I'm not sure. A lot of information on different websites make me think that I might have it...I don't really have photosensitivity, fatigue or fever but lupus is so mysterious that I'm wondering if I'm in the beginning stages of it and if anyone had symptoms like mine.

I don't know. Basically, I'm terrified because I just got engaged and got a great fellowship to study in another city for a year but I'm afraid to take any steps because I'm afraid I'm going to get sick. What should I do?

Any and All insight would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

you can go to the lupus foundation website for criteria for lupus diagnosis,
    i dont think i would like to say wether you have lupus or not, i would definitly keep seeing your doctors on a regular basis, and as long as your able, take full advantage of what you can and want to do with your life, its worth it :BIG:

when you do something big that is a major move, dont get stressed as this causes many problems even in people that dont have lupus, also reading symptoms and problems that people have on the internet, you have to be able to sort it, it can cause you to overread what is actually wrong, alot of people can develop hypocondria very easily and not even know it,(i am not saying you are one) just be careful, ive done it to a point myself, when i had a flair the backof my left hand swelled and i could not move my wrist, you say you have a fellowship, does this mean you use a puter alot??? i could be just plain ole carpal tunnel, there is a wrist brace that is basically a bean bag in a brace that works well for me when i work on the computer alot

good luck with the fellowhip and the marriage,sounds like hes a lucky guy
    and im sure you will get more very good imput from other people on this site, more qualified than myself
    Fair Oaks California

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Do not put you plans on hold because of what you think might happen! If you are diagnosed with Lupus, there is no guarantee that your lupus will affect you in such a way as to make you have to throw away your dreams. Lupus affects each of us differently, none of our symptoms are the same and neither are our treatments.
    If you believe that you may have Lupus, learn as much as you can about it and its treatments so that you can make informed decisions with your doctors about your treatment plan and any lifestyle changes that you may have to make. Do all of these things with the goal of continuing with you future plans and dreams. Make your decisions based upon how you are going to accomplish those things, not upon how you are going to postone them!!
    On this forum, there are discussions about the criteria for a lupus diagnosis; there is a sticky in "Newly Diagnosed" that explains the criteria that might be helpful. Otherwise, you can go to search at the top of each page and type in "Lupus Criteria", that will bring up all of our discussions about this subject. Reading them should give you some good insight. You can also go to the Lupus Foundation of America, which is a wealth of information!
    Do not stress yourself right now, work closely with your doctors and educate yourself! I wish you the best of Luck
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I totally agree with Teri and Susie. You might surprise yourself at how well you handle it all!

Thanks

Default Thanks everyone

Thank you so much to everyone...I still feel so nervous, however...I have read up on all the criteria, etc. and I do know that it affects everyone differently but can anyone share how their disease started?

Was it a sudden flare or were there years of symptoms?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Most of us have come to realize, looking back, that we suffered with symptoms for many years before we were diagnosed. So, it would be difficult to say that symptoms came on suddenly. What probably happened to many of us is that we developed a bad flare or additional symptoms that we could not get help with and that sent us to the doctor.
    My symptom was the butterfly rash on my face and the lesions on my hands and feet..these were new symptoms to me. I had always had the joint and muscle pains, but was very athletic and always believed they were a by-product of my activities. So, no, I can't say that symptoms came upon me suddenly :?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie