Thread: methotrexate and the sun...

Thanks

Default methotrexate and the sun...

ok.. i am on my 9th week of methotrexate.. and yesterday i went outside to keep my husband company while he was building a barn.. i sat to the side.. and after probably less than an hour i got me an umbrella and stayed in the shade.. however.. i burnt on my legs and one arm so bad.. it looks like i was out ALL DAY.. I couldn't walk this morning..
    seriously we were surprised at the severity of the burn.. i just wasn't out there exposed that long! i am fair.. but my goodness! could this med have cause me to be more sensitive to the sun.. i also take plaquenyl..
    i also went to bed with a really stiff neck and spine pain.. like a terrible crick that i still have today.. stayed home from work cause i didn't think clothes would be a good idea on my legs.. hoping to go tomorrow.. do you think the sun caused me to have a FLARE that showed up in my neck and back? just trying to understand this weird thing that is going on with my body! wander if that is possible.?
    POOH1988

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, one of the side effects of Methotrexate is sensitivity to the sun. Add that to the fact the Lupus itself causes sun sensitivity and you've doubled your need to avoid exposure. The stiffness etc. could be a symptom of the flare-up caused by the sun exposure.
    You must take precautions to avoid sun exposure just based upon the fact that you have Lupus. You must double and even triple those precautions because you are taking Methotrexate. Please, be careful, in the future, to limit your time in the sun (even in the shade, even with sunscreen and even with clothing covering your body).
    I hope that you feel better soon and that you do not experience this again!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Having Lupus, you know you have to shun the sun anyway. Taking MTX means you have to be super vigilant. I put on high SPF sunscreen all over as soon as I get out of the shower and dried. I also make sure I wear long sleeves, pants and carry an umbrella if I must be in the sun, even for a short time. I had to learn the hard way.
    I am sorry you got so burned. It mut be very painful. If you blister, please see your doctor. Blisters mean it's a more severe burn and needs special attention. If not, try some cooled aloe gel (I buy it at CVS) on your sunburn. Try not to have clothing on it until it feels better. Love, Kathy

Thanks

I know for me the sunburn can surely bring on a big flare.
    I get burned very easily anyway (even before lupus--perhaps because it was "there" but not active), and blister easily.
    (just a few weeks ago I was really good about sunscreen and long sleeves--and forgot to cover my ears--so my ears were all blistered... ack.
    My husband told me about this blue spray that is aloe plus a pain reliever. I don't know the name of it, but there are name brands and generics... The spray is nice because you don't have to touch the burned skin, and the pain reliever (albeit temporary) is nice for a time.
    I"m sorry you got so burned. I know how you feel.
    --Kristin

Thanks

Well, I am learning the hard way too. I am in TX, so hotter then hell, and I wear tank tops all the time...but lately I have noticed that I have been getting burnt on my shoulders....that is just from riding in the car. Today I put on a jacket and my hubby cranked up the air, because I was hurting, but I still got burnt.

I have been working on my husband for us to move to San Francisco because it is always cool there.

Tanya

Thanks

Cool is good, Tanya, but don't be fooled. I live in Minnesota (can't be much cooler than that!) and the sun is still an issue. The closer you live to the Equator, of course, the worse the sun's rays are going to be for you. But, sun exposure happens even in northern climates, and even when it's cloudy - it just takes a bit longer. We still need to be diligent about protecting our bodies from exposure to the sun. (Rats!! I used to love to sit in the sun....it's one of the things I miss the most.)

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."