Thread: So tired of being tired!

Thanks

Default So tired of being tired!

I was just diagonosed with Lupus. I just started taking plaquenil 200mg. I know it won't start kicking in though for a little while, and right now i'm just soo sick of being tired. I mean obviously taking naps helps but, it doesn't help that much.

I feel like I could sleep all day and i'd wake up feeling the exact same. I want more energy. Is there anything I can take or do that will help even the slightest?

Some people at my work say they dread waking up in the mornings because they're not a morning person, well try having Lupus and waking up in the mornings! not only am I sore and stiff, but it's like the morning "groginess" doesn't go away for atleast two hours.

Thanks

Hi again Sary,

The plaquenil didn't take full effect for me for about 6 months after beginning it... so you're right, it will take awhile before it begins to help.

But the tiredness? Not much you can do about that--but be sure you get good quality sleep. If your sleep is broken, you need to ask your doc to get you some help sleeping. (I take Doxepin--5 drops in some juice at night... I had never known that a person could actually sleep ALL night before... I've been taking it for years and am very thankful for it.)

The tiredness is usually your body telling you that you need more sleep. Fighting it only makes you more tired. I know this from experience

--Kristin

Thanks

See that's the one problem I don't have, I sleep great. I have amazing sleeps actually. I mean unless i'm overly stressed out or somethings bothering me then I don't get a good nights sleep, but normally I just conk out as soon as I hit the bed because i'm so exhausted all day.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lupus fatigue is a whole different kind of animal. It goes way beyond feeling like we need to go to bed early. It's more like, the thought of walking to the sink to get a glass of water might as well be the same as climbing to the top of a mountain..an unbearable task! Sometimes, getting sleep is not enough for us and it just seems as we can never recuperate from the fatigue.
    Being in a constant state of inflammation somewhere on our bodies is draining in the extreme, and it uses up a lot of our energy without us really realizing it. Also, we don't always get the quality rest that we need at night because of various symptoms and problems of lupus -- Restless leg syndrome, chronic joint pain, fever, Raynaud's, Fibromyalgia, the list goes on and on. The first thing people with lupus can do to lessen fatigue is to get adequate rest. I know that this can be difficult to do with most of our active and hectic ifestyles, but for lupus sufferers, rest is essential. The Lupus Foundation of America recommends that we modify and reprioritize our schedules to include naps and to eliminate all energy-sapping extra activies.
    Almost 90% of lupus patients experience fatigue and, believe it or not, the best thing that we can do for our fatigue is get regular exercise! But, If you are tired, you don't feel like exercising and if you don't exercise then often you become even more tired and lethargic. It is important to get a balance between your exercise and rest - exercise and rest intermittently as your body allows. Listen to your body, it will tell you when it is time to rest. When it does, do not try to muscle through whatever you are doing..stop and rest!!!
    Increasing your stamina allows you to gain more strength and muscle tone, but remember that rest will also be needed to restore energy. Try activities that strengthen your stamina but don't cause stress to the joints and muscles. These can include swimming, to provide an all-over fitness, walking and cycling.
    Jogging should be avoided because it can be too strenuous on already compromised joints and muscles.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks chichibug, and saysusie.

I believe I do get a quality sleep every night, besides the odd night here and there. I get atleast 8-9 hours everynight, and I try and aim for 1-2 hour nap every day or every other day.

I eat well, I try and stay away from simple carbs that make my blood sugar crash, which leaves me feeling even more fatigued. I eat good portions of veggies and fruits everyday, as well as eat lean meats. I get atleast 20 grams or more of fiber a day, i've just started taking a multi-vitamin to ensure i'm getting everything.

I've been to an allergist to make sure i'm not allergic to anything just incase a food allergy might be making me even more tired. I don't drink coffee, and I don't drink lots of tea.

I exercise everyday, I was doing low impact running for a bit but then I became to withdrawn and tired to continue, so I don't really get any cardio. I've started using a stepladder that seems to be fairly low impact on my joints, but I only last two minutes on it before I become exhausted but it definitely gets my heart pumping.

Sometimes I feel like giving up with everything I do to try and give myself more energy. Everyday I feel the same, I maybe only get a couple of half an hour breaks inbetween my day that I don't feel completely drained of all my energy.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Running, jogging, stair climbing are really not recommended for us. They are jolting and can cause more pain and/or damage. Also, they can get our heart rate up, but are just too strenuous and end up making us even more tired and worn out than before we exercised.
    Most doctors recommend that we do some form of non-jarring exercises - like swimming, pilates, yoga, and walking. Talk to your doctor about the best kinds of exercises for you. Also, on these forums, there are many discussions about exercises, ideas for exercises and suggestions.

I wish you the best
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I take a martial arts class though, so lots of kicking is involved. It's what i've decided to do, regardless of my condition. I'm determined to make it work for me.

Maybe in a couple of months you'll be hearing about how i'm not able to do it anymore, because it drains me so much and hurts my joints, but untill then i'm going to keep trying. I'll just have to be extra careful.

You're right about the step ladder though, I decided to push myself a little more and man did I pay for that in the morning. I was limping around all day.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just make sure that you listen to your body and do not try to make it do what it is not able to do without negative consequences. Pushing ourselves and ignoring our body's cries for downgrading our activities can have long-lasting effects. It is good to exercise regularly, in fact, it is essential. But, over-exerting ourselves and over-using our bodies can wreak havoc that could take months and months to recuperate from. So, do be cognizant of what your body is telling you..ok?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I'm happy to say that i've been having a lot more energy recently. I don't know what it is, the medication, the increased sleep i've been getting or both.

I still feel tired a lot, but I feel like that I have longer breaks inbetween that I can actually enjoy my day. I'm having problems with lighheadiness and almost feeling like i'm drunk, but atleast i'm not tired all the time!