Thread: Malar rash

Thanks

Default Malar rash

I think regardless of all my symptoms my malar rash bothers me the most. Mainly because my skin is so sensitive and it's also embarassing.

Is it just me or does your Malar rash seem to reflect your emotions? Even if I get slightly embarassed, or angry, or upset my malar rash flares really badly.

It's embarassing because even if I get slightly embarassed it will show on my face, which of course makes me even more embarassed.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Thanks

Hi there!

I have the rash quite often. I can control it with topical steriods but as soon as I stop them, it comes back quick. I try to avoid the sun as much as possible but that is hard to do with a 2 year old that wants to go out and play.

Yes, I think I hate the rash more than anything. Course my only other symptoms are hair loss, pain and somtimes dizzy spells. I don't have severe symptoms like some of our friends on here. If I did, maybe I would say the rash would be the least of my worries. But I do hate it and the way it makes me feel when I have to see it everyday.

I think my rash does affect my emotions is the way that when it is bad, I get depressed and when it starts to diminish I get a little encouraged, but then that quickly fades when it returns. It is a constant up and down. I think it does get me depressed though.

I'm availble to talk if you ever need someone. Remember everyone on here knows what this is like. You will not be alone here!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi ops:

That's kinda how we look with our rashs!
    The most common rash in systemic lupus is that bright red malar rash. I remember the stares and the questions when my rash was bright red, raised and made my face look fat and swollen. The only thing that really helped me was the plaquenil. However, this drug takes weeks to months before you can see the results. But, once it started working, the rash went away and never came back!
    I hope that you get some relief from the rash and the embarassment that it causes. My heart goes out to you!

I wish you the best
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default malar rash & emotions

I just had a good example of the rash flaring up because of emotions today. Daughter # 3, Kayla (22), took daughter #4, Meghan (20) to the doctor today with UTI symptoms. The doctor found a large lump in Meg's breast. Both girls were freaked out, and their father and I rushed to meet them at the restaurant where they stopped to eat. When I arrived, the first comment was "Wow, Mom, your cheeks are on fire!" I was upset, and it really showed on my face! Now, we're just hoping that Meg's lump is just a fibroid cyst.
    I haven't noticed the malar rash for very long, but it has become more and more noticable. Before the cheeks, I noticed a rash on either side of my neck. Thinking that it was an allergy, I quit using soap and make-up for a while. I finally gave up, and announced to my hubby, "Your wife is becoming a Trill" (Anyone ever watch Star Trek, Deep Space Nine?) Jeff's reaction was "Mmmm sexy!" (He had a thing for the actress who played the Trill).
    I've never been too concerned about my looks, so the rashes don't really bother me much. It's the joint pain that bothers me the most. It really slows me down when my knees or hips won't move the way that I want them to, and it gets very embarrassing to fall down in front of a classroom full of teenagers. It's a good thing that I have a good sense of humor.
    Marla

Thanks

I get my rash on my neck, in a "V", sometimes going around to the back of my neck. I only rarely have had it on my face, and never as prominent. My neck, though, will look like I just spent an hour laying in the noonday sun wearing a V-necked shirt. It always fades, though, in a few hours.

Marla, I hope your daughter's lump is nothing serious. I'll say a prayer for her. Keep us posted, OK?

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Thanks for your concern, Jody
    As it turns out, the lump was nothing but the young doc over-reacting. It was all caused by hormonal changes. It seems that she had a miscarriage before she ever realized that she was pregnant. Now both she and her sweet Russian fiancee', Arseny, are feeling very upset. I've been through this, when I lost a set of twins, so I know how they feel. Hopefully, she will pay more attention to her health now and they will get married first and then try again. I sure do love it when they present me with those grandbabies! I already have two grandsons, but I definitely want more!
    Marla

Thanks

I get my rash on my neck and chest, not my face.

Funny, but I did not connect it to Lupus. Always thought it was allergies --- perfume --- deoderant --- makeup --- food.

Stress makes my upper chest brilliant red and spotty. After all these years, the lightbulb is finally going on. Now I can track cause/effect.

This forum is so enlightening --- I am learning new things every day. The docs try to be as informational as possible, but, they can't/don't cover every facet of every symptom.

Thanks

I hate my rash...I get it all around my neck and down my arms to my finger tips...I am stupidly itchy and go mental not scratching it...my creams help at times...but I find putting ice packs on the worst parts for a few mins help for the itch...I hate how HOT they rash gets too...weird!!! I glod red at times...

Thanks

Glad to hear the lump was nothing serious, but sorry about the miscarriage. I hope your daughter and her fiance can move forward. I know how you feel...those grandbabies are something special!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."