Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry, brittle hair.

Thanks

Default Dry, brittle hair.

Does anyone here have really dry hair, and or brittle hair? and I know that over shampooing, environmental factors, blow drying, over using styling products, can cause dry hair but ruling out these factors, can lupus also cause dry hair? I know it can cause hair loss, but I haven't seen anything regarding dry hair.

I've just started taking an Omega 3-6-9 complex to see if that could possibley help with my problem.

Anyone else?

Thanks

My sister has that problem but because of Hashimotos Disease which is a thyroid condition. I don't know if Lupus would cause that or not. I'm sure a supplement would help but make sure it is ok for you to take with any other meds you are taking.

Thanks

I'm currently not taking any meds so it's all good.

Thanks

no problem with dry hair, but lately I have been getting tingles on my scalp and it seems that my hair is falling out again... not in "patches" per se, but kind of an all-over thinning.

<sigh>
    --Kristin

Thanks

Default Mine is

My hair is very dry and brittle and it was always so healthy. My hair person said it was because I use a straightener and have well water now. Please let me know if you find anything to help yours. I use salon brand shampoos and conditioners and try to only flat iron when I am going out, but so far it has not helped.

Thanks

Tammy-
    We are also on well water, and my husband installed a whole house filtration system (many different filters all lined up) and a water softening system.
    What a difference! Not only do soaps and detergents last a LOT longer, my skin and hair are much more healthy.

If you are using a straightener, be sure to use a positive ion straightener (I have a tourlamine ionic straightener by BaByliss--you can see it here: http://www.amazon.com/BaByliss-BABTM...9443716&sr=8-1 and Farouk also makes some good ones, too.) Also, use a good flat iron spray--get it at your beauty supply. I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/Rusk-Thermal-S...9443794&sr=1-1 .)

Use a nice finishing spray, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hayashi-Spray-...9443884&sr=1-8 and that will keep the hair looking better, too.)

Between learning the ways to keep my hair straight, and having two daughters with naturally gorgeously curly hair--who HAVE to have it straight every day... well, I've learned that you can't skimp on product

But that water softener has been the God-send. I hate going to hotels that don't have soft water. It rips my hair UP.

Good luck,
    Kristin

Thanks

The thing is, I don't blow dry my hair, I don't bleach or dye my hair, I don't over shampoo my hair, etc etc so it's weird how dry my hair is. I have had my thyroid tested and it was fine, I was just wondering if maybe it was related to the Lupus.

I don't get that much iodine in my diet, so i'm going to try and supplement it naturally by eating more seaweeds and what not. I'm also considering taking a biotin supplement, does anyone know if that will interfere with my Plaquenil? (yes I just started medication yesterday)

I've also just started using an all natural shampoo bar which has helped, and my water is fairly soft so I don't think it's the water.

Oh and my hair has been thinning a bit, so I wondering if that's linked to my dry hair? do you think the Plaquenil will help with the thinning hair?

Thanks

Sary, if you use ordinary American table salt for cooking or anything else, it is supplemented with iodine - so you shouldn't need iodine supplements if you use at least a fourth teaspoon of iodized salt daily. A dietary intake of 100-300 micrograms per day is appropriate for most adults. If you eat a diet high in certain foods - they can interfere with your body's absorption of iodine, so you may need more iodine-rich foods to counteract the effect. Cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower, soy beans, flaxseed, cassava (used in tapioca), sweet potatoes, lima beans, maize and millet may all increase the requirements for iodine. Too much iodine in the diet is just as dangerous as too little - it can disrupt thyroid function and increase the risk of thyroid cancer.

Eating seaweed is not a good way to supplement iodine, because the levels of iodine are not consistent and difficult to track. Some seaweeds are ver high in iodine - others are low. Some seawood products imported from other countries also have high levels of PCPs, dioxins and other industrial pollutants. So it is much safer to get from your iodine from a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement that contains iodine, or to take a standardized iodine supplement no more than four times a week. That way you know exactly how much iodine you are taking in and don't run the risk of toxicity.

Thanks

My hair falls out all over too or it's like it's breakin off all the time and it seems like different types of birth control makes it worse, maybe it has somethin to do with the hormones in my b/c. I think in your case it has to do with the way lupus effects your body not to do with hair strighting or hard water in my opinion. Cause i have heard of it making hair brittle.. i meen overly processing your hair with heat and hair dye is bad and hard water does make hair dry.. i don't think thats the reason in ur case.

Thanks

I don't use regular table salt, just sea salt, and I don't really eat a whole lot of process foods so I don't really get my "american" salt from that either.