Thread: Chest inflammation

Thanks

Default Chest inflammation

A couple of months ago, I layed down in bed and straight after I felt this pain in my neck that extended down to my shoulder. It was weird, I like felt the pain come on slowly when I layed down.

A couple of days past, and I still had increasingly bad pain in my shoulder and neck, but then it seemed to extend down to my rib cage. Then that same day I got this sudden onset of pain in my heart, I felt paralysed from the pain, I couldn't breathe because it made the pain imbearable. The same thing happened when I layed down. I went to the hospital that same day, and they did chest x-rays which showed nothing, cat scan (to see if I had a blood clot) which I didn't, blood tests (not sure what tests though), then they stuck these stickers on me connected to some machine but that came out normal, or apparently a bit abnormal but they said it wasen't anything to worry about.

They finally sent me home telling me to go to my docter. The pain started to subside a few days later, and I carried on with my life.

My question is, what the heck am I suppose to do if this happens again? Is it serious? should I go back to the hospital again if I can't get to a docter? or do I wait it out and book an appointment with my GP?

It was so scary, I felt like I was having a heartattack everytime I hiccuped or breathed in or layed down.

Oh and another thing, everytime I breathed in, I felt this "clicking" sound. I don't know, it's like a creaking noise or something, but the docter couldn't hear anything with the stethiscope or however it's spelt lol.

Thanks

Oh and sorry, I suppose I should give you a breif description of my background. Uhm, my docter diagnosed me with a possible connective tissue disorder. I tested possitive for ANA, and low complimentry C4 test. She then refered me to a rheumatologist.

All my symptoms seemed to fall under SLE. Extreme fatigue, malar rash, joint pain in jaw, hips, and now i've noticed some in my feet. I also experience, stifness in my shoulders on a daily basis. I don't think it can be from my bed, because I have a memory foam bed, with a memory foam pillow which is very comfy and it gives me support.

I also experience sensitivity to the sun, which makes my malar rash on my face worse, and also makes me feel nausous, tired, depressed, dizzy/lighteded.

Im very sensitive to heat and cold, more so cold though. Bad circulation in my hands and feet, which are always cold.

I get a "foggy head" and have trouble remembering things. Such as, I put my keys down somewhere and i'll forget two seconds later where I put them.

I also have Chronic urticaria, and i'm not sure if that can be related to Lupus, but I know it can be related to possible autoimmune diseases.

I have more symptoms that are related to Lupus, but with the "foggy mind" I have trouble remembering haha.

I went to an allergist, and I wasen't allergci to anything but shrimp and dustmites, and dustmites don't cause chronic urticaria, but apparently stuffiness of the sinus's and I don't eat shrimp ever since I had a horrible reaction to it (have to carry an epi-pen around)

Thanks

Sary,

You really need to let your rheumy know whats going on. Sounds like plueresy and inflamation in your lungs which is common with Lupus SLE...I have it often...it is getting better...mine comes up when my algergies in my sinus are bad. But, you should see your doctor. They will probably prescribe some antibiotics and an inhaler. Good luck to you and God bless. Dawn

Thanks

I did and she didn't really do anything. She said something about sending me for an ultra sound of my chest, but she didn't set up anything for me to do that. I don't know, I guess i'll have to bring it up in my next visit, but that's nearly 3 months away.

When I went to the hospital, they said nothing was wrong with my lungs, but when my rheumatologist looked at my results, she said that it did show there was a bit of fluid in my lungs.

The hospital just let me go too, without anything for it, while also not treating me there with anything but morphine.

I think i'm going to book another appointment with my GP, she's the only docter I trust right now. I have a bunch of questions for her, even if it's not the area she specializes in.

I also have to ask her if I might have a possible reaction to the plaquenil. My rheumatologist said if a rash appears i'm allergic to it. I wouldn't call it a rash, but i've been getting red flares all over my body which I haven't experienced before, they're not painful or itchy though.

Thanks

Unfortunatlely the chest infection is common with Lupus. I went to the hospital for the same thing about a month and half ago and they gave me antibiotics and an inhaler...I then followed up with my GP a couple of times because I was still feeling bad even after the ZPack and I took two rounds of it. So finally after my glands decided to swell all over my body he then put me on Augmenton 865ml twice a day and that seems to be helping. I did read somewhere that when you have Lupus it takes at leaset 30 days or more to get over any kind of infection. So, yes I would suggest you see your GP. That is the only doctor I go to right now. Let me know how things work out with your GP. God Bless, Dawn

Thanks

Well my GP is just suggesting advil or tyenol right now, says it's not that inflammed that you can hear the pleural lining rubbing together. I tried to explained to her that it comes and goes even when it's at it's worst, but she still says I should wait for the plaqeneil to kick in and just take the advil for now.

It sucks and it's scary too, I don't know what to do when it gets so bad I can't even get out of bed. I feel like the pain gets so bad my heart is going to stop.

I suppose i'll still go to the emergancy room if it gets that bad again. I don't know what else to do. Maybe i'll just go if I get a fever with it aswell.

Thanks

I don't get why at the hospital they didn't know what it was. When I talked to my docter, she said it was pleursy right off the bat.

Pain when breathing in, pain when lying down, quick onset of severe pain starting from neck, shoulder, and then on my chest. The "creaking" noise when I breathed in (the pleural lining rubbing together) the little bit of fluid trapped in my lungs, which probably was infected, who knows.

Then they just sent me home. I mean I could have gotten even more sick. Gosh sometimes I get really frusterated with docters.

Thanks

It sucks and it's scary too, I don't know what to do when it gets so bad I can't even get out of bed. I feel like the pain gets so bad my heart is going to stop.

I suppose i'll still go to the emergancy room if it gets that bad again. I don't know what else to do. Maybe i'll just go if I get a fever with it aswell.

This is exactly what was happening to me. I know how you feel. Especially in the beginning, like three or more years ago. I don't even remember. How horrible is that? Probably more like 4 years ago. anyways the pain was so bad...and I did have a fever. Just like this last time, bam fever. I also had fluid around my heart with all this. And imagine, my pulmo doc said, that shouldnt' be causing you the type of pain you are experiencing. Whatever. Some doctors just dont' get it.