Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: howdy!

Thanks

Default howdy!

just introducing myself.

i'm 51 and have been diagnosed with lupus since i was 35. i also have 3 other incurable auto-immune diseases.

my biggest problem is my allergy to all the NSAIDS. that makes my pain management difficult.

oh well! i'll survive!

Thanks

Howdy to you, Flamingojihad!

I'm in the midwest, too (Minnesota). I'm 56, so in the same age 'ballpark' as well. I wasn't diagnosed until this past year, although it's clear I've had one autoimmune disease or another for a long time. Welcome to the group. You'll find lots of support here. Good advice, someplace to 'vent' and sometimes just a lively chat! Glad you're here.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

one of my hobbies is geocaching and i belong to their forums also. i have been typing to some of the people there for 3 years and we have become somewhat of a family. i have met a good many of them at midwest get togethers and a couple of private parties. i have a support system that extends from new hampshire to victoria, british columbia.

it's a great group of people and a fun hobbie that gives me some exercize. i also enjoy neopets and astronomy.

Thanks

Welcome!
    Missy

Thanks

I've read about geocaching - I've always thought that sounded like a great hobby. Where do you learn about it?

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

what kind of gps unit do you use, i have two garmin 120,s i like to go out to find things that close to me, or find markers left behind in the fifties,

welcome to the forum there are some real good people here that understand and are very informational about lupus, :lol:
    Fair Oaks California

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Flamingojihad :lol:
    Have you tried some of the alternatives to NSAIDS? Acetaminophen (Tylenol, and others) or tramadol (Ultram, and others) are reasonable alternatives to NSAIDS. Also, Cytotec or a drug such as Prilosec can be used to protect the lining of your stomach when using the above alternatives and/or when using NSAIDs. Many people who have difficulty with NSAIDS use Celebrex. Celebrex is among a new class of NSAIDs called COX-2 inhibitors, which were developed in response to the potentially serious side effects of common anti-inflammatories. COX-2 inhibitors are much more "selective" than traditional NSAIDS; whereas drugs like ibuprofen medicate generally, COX-2 inhibitors target specific receptors involved in pain and inflammation.
    Perhaps you can talk to your doctor about some of the alternatives so that you can still find relief from pain and inflammation.

I wish you the very best!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mnjodette
    I've read about geocaching - I've always thought that sounded like a great hobby. Where do you learn about it?

Jody
    the best place to learn about geocaching is at geocaching.com. it is a great hobby and i've made some great friends through it.

there will ba a large gathering of them the weekend of july 20th, in kendallville, IN. it's called the midwest geobash 2007. there will be 3 days of camping, caching, and generally a lot of fun. last years geobash had more than 800 people attending from at least 15 states and 4 countries.

you can join the website for free or pay 30$$ for a year membership, which gets you a few perqs.

there a always smaller gatherings called "meet and greets" happening all the time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TERIOD
    what kind of gps unit do you use, i have two garmin 120,s i like to go out to find things that close to me, or find markers left behind in the fifties,

welcome to the forum there are some real good people here that understand and are very informational about lupus, :lol:
    i use a garmin GPS76 CS. not one of the cheaper models, but most cachers use a garmin etrex.

if by markers you mean benchmarks, there is a section on the website for people that search for those. i've found a few, but i live near flint, MI and most of the ones around here have been lost due to new construction.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie
    Hi Flamingojihad :lol:
    Have you tried some of the alternatives to NSAIDS? Acetaminophen (Tylenol, and others) or tramadol (Ultram, and others) are reasonable alternatives to NSAIDS. Also, Cytotec or a drug such as Prilosec can be used to protect the lining of your stomach when using the above alternatives and/or when using NSAIDs. Many people who have difficulty with NSAIDS use Celebrex. Celebrex is among a new class of NSAIDs called COX-2 inhibitors, which were developed in response to the potentially serious side effects of common anti-inflammatories. COX-2 inhibitors are much more "selective" than traditional NSAIDS; whereas drugs like ibuprofen medicate generally, COX-2 inhibitors target specific receptors involved in pain and inflammation.
    Perhaps you can talk to your doctor about some of the alternatives so that you can still find relief from pain and inflammation.

I wish you the very best!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    my difficulty with NSAIDS is urticaria, swelling of the lips, and trouble breathing. i've even had this reaction from celebrex. the doctors don't even want me to try another NSAID, and i wouldn't want to either. tylenol just doesn't cut it when it comes to the pain.

ah well! i'll survive. :roll:

yeesh! i talk a lot don't i? ops: