Thread: is glycolic acid a no-no?

Thanks

Default is glycolic acid a no-no?

Hi everyone,

I have a question...I have DLE but I have adult onset acne as well. Yea me!! Anyway..my dermatologist said he didn't think I should get a chemical to improve my acne b/c he said it could aggravate my lupus and possibly scar my face. But he did prescribe Retin-A which is a mild peel for acne but takes a long toime to really see results.

My mom sent something to me called N2skin and it has glycolic acid in it which is similar to a peel. Should I try this on my acne? The antibiotic and Retin-A aren't working. And the Elocon I'm using on my lupus seems to have stopped working on that as well, so my face is very red. What are everyones thoughts?

Thanks

Glycolic acid is probably not a good idea - in concentrations over 10%, it can cause chemical burns, and even the dilute concentrations used in skin care products can cause a sunburn-like reaction, then blistering and peeling. Which may be okay for people whose skin heals normally, but does not include people with lupus. You could end up with permanent scarring. And if your acne is related to prednisone or other steroid medications, then a chemical peel will not help the underlying cause of the acne.

A papaya facial treatment might help the acne without irritating your skin more. I had a lot of breakouts while on prednisone, and I used a tea tree and chamomile cleanser, followed by a homemade papaya mask. Then I used a witch hazel toner under my sunscreen. I also tried to drink a lot more water to keep my skin hydrated, and eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I used an oil-free sunscreen and foundation.

Some people on the forum were using a product called Miracell to treat discoid lesions. I'm not sure how many of them are still using it, so you might want to post a question about it, and find out how well it worked.

Thanks

OK Marycain...thanks for replying. I will investigate the Miracell. At this point I am desperate for results and will try just about anything even though I have tried almost everything.

Thanks

Default acne

I did have adult acne also but this was before i knew about the lupus. i did go on accutane for 5 months in 2004 and now am clear. it was a really rough drug to handle but I'm glad i did it then because I'm not sure if you can go on it with discoid lupus it may make you scar more.
    its not a drug i tell ppl to take but if you want something that works and dont mind looking awful for 10 or so months then its worth looking into.