Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerned

Thanks

Thanks for asking, Ilovehistory! Colchicine seems to be working - no pericarditis since I started taking it, so that's a really good thing. As I said, I continue to have some pleurisy-like issues, and occasional chest pain related to that, but it's not usually serious. Did set me back a bit recently when I had to up my prednisone again. But, I'm still hopeful I'll be able to reduce the prednisone soon. Still on imuran, too, so maybe that's the magic 'cocktail' for me! I'll be on the colchicine for 6 months, I guess. We'll see what happens then! Take good care.....

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Hi Mnjodette!

I'm SO glad to hear it! I sincerely hope that the Pleurisy goes away soon, never to return! It is really painful, I must admit, but the worst part is when I cough. That's unbearable! :x My cough has got worse now and I can't sleep because of it, which is why I'm up - it's 05:04 a.m. here! My cough has become productive and now I'm wheezing and more short of breath. I think I've got Bronchitis again... Great! :roll: Of course, this does nothing for the Pleurisy pain! :x

Keep well!

Thanks

Don't you have asthma, too, Ilovehistory? That can't be good combined with pleurisy or bronchitis. Do take care - respiratory problems can just hang on and on sometimes, and really wear you out. I'll be praying for you.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Hi Mnjodette!

Thanks very much! I really appreciate it!

Yes, I do have Asthma.

Guess what? Yesterday, while I was at school, I had one of the worst coughing fits of my entire life, which lasted for TWO HOURS without stopping! Previously, I had been extremely short of breath and got a severe headache and pain in the back of my neck; then, I had a seizure. To be honest, I don't think that my brain was getting enough oxygen. I had spent half the day fainting from shortness of breath and the school nearly called an ambulance, but I begged them not to. So, the school receptionist phoned my father, who came to fetch me. I went to see my Paed./Paed. Card. who was horrified at the condition of my chest. He prescribed some antibiotics, some Prednisone and some more Combivent for my Nebuliser. We think that the Bronchitis has turned into Pneumonia now. This is probably because the school receptionist made me sit in a DRAFT! and I was too sick and short of breath to complain. It is BITTERLY cold here and my Paed./Paed. Card. has forbidden me from leaving the house. I did not want to go to hospital (I am SICK of hospital!), but promised that if my chest got any worse, I would go. I have NEVER had a chest as bad as it is now. I have been awake since 03:00 a.m. because I couldn't breathe and sleeping propped up on four pillows was not as helpful as I had hoped. My coughs are wracking my chest to pieces and with every breath my entire ribcage moves. :cry:

Plus, I now have Conjunctivitis in both eyes (yes, AGAIN!) , diarrhea and a sore throat! Could this possibly get any worse? Wait, please don't answer that!

I am using my Nebuliser, my Asthma pump, my Cortisone inhaler, taking my meds, inhaling over boiling water with Friar's Balsam and coughing into a pillow (thanks to Marycain's suggestion! ) Does anyone have any other advice on what I can do?

One of my friends has now developed Pleurisy too and two other people in my grade already have Pneumonia, both of which are in my Mathematics class.

Thanks and keep well!

Thanks

Oh my goodness! That's more than anyone should have to deal with - much less deal with it all at once. Again, I'll keep you in my prayers. I still wonder about all of the illnesses in your classmates - seems to be a pattern here. Hope someone is paying attention. Please keep us posted, and DO feel better soon. We're all here for you, as always.

Jody

Thanks

If the cough is dry and hacking, then your doctor may need to give you some codeine-based medicine to suppress it. Coughing that hard can be dangerous - I collapsed a lung during a terriible coughing spell like that. If your cough is productive (you are bringing up mucus), the a cough suppressant is not a good idea because it keeps the "gook" in your lungs and prolongs the infection. A prescription medication called Tessalon can also help with severe coughing.

Drinking soup and hot liquids or eating spicy foods may help break up some of the congestion in your chest.

Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.

Thanks

The censor used on this website is sometimes pretty darn funny. Your last post, Marycain, explains that a cough suppressant might keep "a Person of Asian descent" in your lungs!? (Somehow I don't think that's what you meant! :lol: :lol: ) What is it you were really trying to say?

Thanks

Hi!

:lol: "Person of Asian descent?!" Somehow, I don't think that this is connected to lung problems! :lol:

Thanks very much for your replies, Mnjodette and Marycain!

My cough is productive (little bits of VERY thick yellow mucus with specks of blood), so I don't want to take a cough suppressant. I have been drinking herbal tea to try and help the congestion. Thanks, Marycain.

My chest is making horrible wheezing sounds; rhonchi, I suppose?

Regarding what I said earlier about 'can this possibly get any worse?', well, it did. Yesterday (Wednesday) morning, I ate an apple for breakfast. Approximately half-an-hour later, I vommitted the entire thing up, seeds and all (sorry for the grapics! ops. I have NEVER felt so nauseous in my entire life! I was too nauseous to even drink a sip of plain water! :shock:

My muscles are aching and I keep getting horrible headaches.

Did I mention that I have also had my period throughout all of this? Plus, I am bleeding more heavily than usual and for longer than normal? :? Everytime I blow my nose, little specks of blood come out with the mucus (I have had this before)? :? Does anyone know what this is/why this happens?

I get so tired, but I can't sleep properly because of my annoying chest! :x :cry:

Thanks, everyone and keep well!

Thanks

I was trying to use the term g - o - o - k to describe the nasty stuff that gets in the lungs occasionally, but apparently the censor doesn't allow for context and thought it was an ethnic slur.

Thanks

ILoveHistory, do you have endometriosis? Because that can cause the nosebleeds during menstrual periods - I have them fron my teenage years on. And if you have allergies, or your nose is irritated from blowing a lot, that could cause the nosebleeds too.

Sorry you are having such a rough time right now and hope you feel better soon.