Thanks

I think you can do it.
    Or, I'll tell you how I handled it....
    Just like you.
    I did nothing.
    I thought it would pass.
    I was peeing blood.
    I was immobile.
    People thought I was faking when the pain got worse.
    People thought I needed attention.
    Nobody beleived me.
    No doctors, No family
    It got worse.
    I was miserable...

What I'm trying to say is.. whatever is holding you back from slowing down isn't worth it.

Thanks

I think between you and my husband, I might get the message

If you read my poll question re: sleep deprivation/stressful life, you can see that I've been programmed from a young age to be always on my toes, always busy. It's a hard mold to break.

I am trying. I swear

I appreciate your honesty SOOO much!!!
    --Kristin

Thanks

Default Another workaholic

I know what you mean about work and stress! I REALLY have a stressful job. I teach in a HUGE high school. I leave for school at 7a.m. and usually get home at 6 p.m. Then after cooking dinner (my husband cleans up, but no one wants him to try cooking, for the health of all concerned), I sit down to grade papers with my loving cats by my side. The students are very hard to deal with and the administration has been putting a lot of pressure on us teachers to do EVERYTHING. I've just stopped going to my duty post at lunch time, since the noise and the stress of the students at that time of the day would set off my tintinitis (from Menier's Disease). Besides, how could I do anything to break up a fight - I'm way too weak. The thing is - I LOVE to teach. I have a few really good students who make it all worthwhile, so I hang in there for them. I did notice that I had a flare-up of sores on my arms when I was stressing out about administering AP exams last week.
    The summer won't be much more restful for me. I have neglected my house for months, and just lost my housekeeper a few weeks ago. I have five grown children, but believe me, the stress doesn't end when they grow up - it just changes. Two of them rely upon me for child care during the summer, so I'll be spending the summer with an 8 yr. old and a 2 yr. old, all the while trying to finally get to see a rheumatologist.
    Thank goodness for my two planned trips - one to Nashville for the American Classical League Convention; and the other to "Latin Teacher Camp" - a whole week on a college campus with no one but myself to look after and lots of Latin to read - BLISS.
    I haven't figured out how to slow my life down yet. I guess I'm still going on the premise that Brian mentioned - I'll rest when I die.
    Marla

Thanks

woah, hey now, if u read all the way through, u'll know it wasn't a good thing.

Thanks

ChiChiBug,.... EXACT SAME thing here. My grandmother is like that, and so is my mom... Post-transplant made me thing ALOT. I think I was in the hosp. a total of only about 7 months. Anywayz, during the thinking I thought alot about what the doc's keep saying. " U have an overactive immune system," and I realized i was doing alot. I worked, on average, 10-hour days, then came home, showered, left w/friends till whenever, sleep whatever few hours, then back at it. I wasn't eating on bad schedule, and doing a job that wasn't fit for me (carrying 50-60lb. machines to the 1,2,3,4th floor vacant apts, then down, up.....
    But, again, newayz, now that I've realized it, I'm trying to preach and speech to my mom who cannot stop moving.

Thanks

Hiya Brian,

Your schedule sounds much like mine was years ago--and I had to stop because I got sick. I don't try to do all of that anymore (see? progress!)

I have to run, but wanted to say "thanks" for your support
    --Kristin

Thanks

Default Chemicals and Lupus?

Hey folks, check out this article at http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...bury_mattapan/
    It deals with the conversation that we were having about those of us like Brian and myself who have been exposed to chemicals. I've already sent it to my friend in my hometown. I would love to see what the folks on this list have to say after reading it, especially you, Brian. Please let me know.
    Marla

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I found the article to be very interesting. Many doctors have said that environmental factors do play a part in the development of Lupus..especially if there are high concentrations of chemicals and toxins! Since African-Americans are more predisposed to developing Lupus, it is not surprising that being exposed to these conditions in the neighborhoods where we live makes us even more vulnerable.
    The only part that I don't agree with is the part that the environmental exposure has decreased because air emissions and other environmental standards are much more stringent today. That sounds, to me, like industries attempting to mitigate their responsibility in order to lessen their risks for law suits!!
    The article did not addres the issue of what is going to be done to help those people who have lived in those areas and developed Lupus...I wonder if anything will be done???

Saysusie

Thanks

Default Toxins article

Saysusie,
    Much of what you said has been on my mind, too. If you read my earlier post, you saw that many of my classmates from high school have many of the same symptoms that I have. I wonder whether Hartford Illinois might be a great study case for them? I also wonder whether the oil companies would ever be held accountable? One thing that might prove interesting in such a study. They could never give the excuse that it is a "black woman's disease". At the time that I lived there, Hartford did not have a single black family. I really was upset seeing this excuse given in the article. The chemical and oil industries really do try to blame race, sex, or economic status rather than accept the blame themselves. I'm going to pass this info along to the author of the article and suggest to him that he might see if a colleague at The St. Louis Post Dispatch might be interested.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Marla

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marla;
    Please keep us advised of what (if any) response you get from the author. I am very interested to hear what he and his colleagues say!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie