• exact cause known(vote here)

0 0%
  • a couple of very good possibilities

3 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YOUR HELP IS NEEDED PLEASE VOTE

Thanks

Default YOUR HELP IS NEEDED PLEASE VOTE

there has been a recent post, pinpointing the cause of lupis, i personally have never had doctor tell exactly tell me what causes it, in fact when i pushed for an answer they told me, to give me one would be almost impossible due to the variety of envioromental and chemical factors, after reading and investigating ive come up with several possible culprits but no definite cause, Im intiating this poll in order to help this young person to make an educated descision

Thank you
    Terry
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Default Causes of Lupus

I wasn't sure how to register my vote, but I agree with those who said that there is no known cause. However, here is something for all of you to consider. I was raised in a small Illinois town which was surrounded by oil refineries, a chemical plant, a glassworks, an ammunition plant, etc. When I attended my 30th class reunion (yes, I'm feeling old), my friend and I sat and discussed the HUGE number of us, all from the same little town, who are having these symptoms. Her Dr. has mentioned and ruled out arthritis, MS, Muscular Distophry, etc. There are several of our classmates who have either died of cancer, or are currently fighting it. I'm wondering if several of us might have Lupus, and if the environment in which we grew up might have something to do with it?
    Marla

Thanks

Default causes

Hi magistramarla, that's very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some kind of correlation there.

I'm the (not so young! :cry: ) woman Terry is referring to. I just wanted to clarify (in case you didn't feel like wading through my second 'newbie and now surgery?' post) that my rheumie had actually said that I have a general predisposition to develop autoimmune diseases and the presence of the implants merely catalyzed or exacerbated the onset of the lupus. Again, it could have easily been another (environmental, hormonal or genetic) trigger. I guess his point is that some people have the bad luck to be born with an unusual vulnerability towards certain triggers that most other people tolerate easily. Of course I resist this in part (why me? so many other women have no problem with saline, etc, etc) but then again there ARE people who will go into anaphylactic shock just by eating nuts, while most of us happily eat them all the time.

So, while the implants may not be the definitive *cause*, I guess his point is that they are a very real factor in the worsening of the disease. Anyway, I just wish I knew.

Still-confused-as-you-can-see --

planetarychild

Thanks

I used to work w/chems too. I was a carpet cleaner for 3.5 yrs.
    Another possibility.. I over-worked myself - I worked 16-hour days in 110 weather, (AZ) in vacant, un-a/c'd, apts.
    So, maybe (I think) I turned my body into overactive mode. Which means, everything inside my body is over-working too. So, my stomach doesn't digest and absorb all the nutrients when I eat, and so-on.
    So, (sry for the so's) it's not the cells eating each other. It is cuz they die from over-activity.
    Just a guess.

Thanks

just out of curiosity, did you work with naptha???
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Default Who?

Who? What is that?

Thanks

So, my stomach doesn't digest and absorb all the nutrients when I eat, and so-on.
    So, (sry for the so's) it's not the cells eating each other. It is cuz they die from over-activity.
    Brian--I have had this same thing. Docs had no idea why--is this linked to lupus, too? Docs say it seems cyclical--some months my levels are relatively normal, and others are through the floor (nutrient-wise).

I seem to lack in protein, B's, K, E.. I forgot all of them... I am allergic to vitamin K (IV)--I coded on it before... so there is no way to supplement it other than by what I eat--but if there's no absorption, I am "outta luck".

Is yours cyclical, too?
    --Kristin

Thanks

naptha is basically jet fuel, thats was used for dry cleaning, paint cleanup,mostly militarily based
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

To: ChiChiBug: You're right,, I'm guessing your flares are in summer.
    If that's correct; summer is a perty active season. The heat plays a major factor on your body's interior. Your also prob. thinking about vacation, the kids being home, etc.. If you think about it, you do more in the summer, and don't give urself enough r&r to heal back to slo-mo.
    I strongly believe (at least for myself) it is over-activity that's doing harm.
    Even if ur not doing something physical. It could be mind overactiveness, (thinking, stress) Or even something alotta people do without knowing it: tense up. I still catch my self not fully relaxing. I always keep my shoulders tense up, when they need to drop and relax. Like I said jus' a guess.

To Teriod: I don't remember hearing Naptha, but I worked w/dry cleaning chemicals, dye's, deoderizer, shampoo, "kool-aid" remover. Alot of different chems.

Thanks

Brian, that's very interesting. My husband and I have always correlated my flares with my "working like crazy" or "crazy schedule time". He is trying to get me to put aside an hour a day to "relax". I can't do it... He says that posting on the boards or working on the computer doesn't count LOL.

My youngest daughter leaves for college in August... my life will most certainly slow down by then... meanwhile, these next few weeks are horrendous.

Thanks for your ideas, they make sense to me!
    -Kristin