Thread: hormones?

Thanks

Default hormones?

To all knowledgeable veterans,

I was curious....do you think hormones play a part in flares? I know there seems to be so many of you that offer soooo much information and advice, I think more so than doctors in my opinion...

Does anybody think it is possible that hormones would play a part in flares and symptoms? Just wondering....of course I had a baby 6 months ago and that could be post partum issues as well but I just wanted to get a little input from you all.

Thanks

In my opinion (for whatever thats worth) I feel that hormones have a definite impact on your lupus. In additon to lupus I have had endometriosis for probably about 14 years. I don't think the hormones actually cause my flares, but I know they really make me susceptible to flares and weaken me, making even the littlelest things overwhelm me. Because of my endo issues I am on the pill and take hormone pills, which normally isn't the best for a lupus patient. I know that when my hormones get out of wack I have a very difficult time thinking clearly and go into a horrible lupus fog, that at times feels near impossible to shake off. When I talked to my doctor about this he said that he felt there was a link between hormonal inbalances and the severity of your lupus at the time. For me I feel its similar to the symptoms I get when I am stressed and how that makes everything worse at the time. I hope that you are doing well....best of luck!

Thanks

I think for some people, hormones definitely influence flares. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that menopause will cure your lupus - my organ involvement actually got worse. I think, as with many other things about lupus - it's probably different for each person.

Thanks

I had one rheumatologist tell me that lupus will just burn itself out after menopause. I'm not sure how that works, 'cause I wasn't even diagnosed until after menopause and my primary rheumatologist classifies my lupus as 'moderate to severe'. Hmmmm. I'm still hoping it will burn itself out, though!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

I think there is a DIRECT link between lupus flares and hormones. My doctor says they believe there is a link. My question is.... Are they studying this? How about doing a study and try to balance out these women's hormones to see what happens. Perhaps it would be too much work or something because you would have to check hormone levels on a daily basis in order to see what was going on since they vary sooo much. HORMONES ops: ---This emoticon is embarassed but i thought it looked more like me with a hot flash.. lol
    For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for good and not evil to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks

As if PMS is not enough to go through, and having a flare on top of it. Yikes, the unfairness of it.
    Namaste,
    Peace, Love and Happiness