Thread: Do I have lupus?

Thanks

Default Do I have lupus?

Hi! I'm a newbie. I am also confused! My symptoms are fatigue, joint pain, headaches,enlarged lymph nodes, morning stiffness, fingers that turn BRIGHT red(not white) and painfull in mild temperature. I have also had hives, night sweats, loss of 20+ pounds. I had some numbness in my hands but that went away. My nose gets red in the sun but not really my cheeks. The only blood test that revealed anything was a low C3 and C4. I was also diagnosed an epileptic 5 years ago. The rheumatologist calls it an undifferentiated connective tissue disease caused by an autoimmune disorder and my GP calls it chronic fatigue syndrome. Any ideas or explantions why I can have all these symptoms and not have a positive ANA testor anti-RO?
    Thank you, Angela

Thanks

Hi, Angela. Unfortunately, only your doctor can answer the question of whether you have lupus. Having a negative ANA test makes the diagnosis of lupus less likely, but it does not rule it out altogether. Lupus can be very difficult to diagnose because many of the symptoms mimic those of othet illnesses such as lyme disease or chronic fatrigue syndrome. Without clear-cut symptoms or lab tests, many doctors are reluctant to diagnose lupus unless they are absolutely sure, because the diagnosis may impact your ability to get health or life insurance. Sometimes autoimmune doseases develop very slowly, and you have to wait for more symptooms to develop to get a clear picture of the disease. If you can find a doctor you trust, who is willing to treat you based on your symptoms, sometimes that is the best alternative. It is very tempting to go from doctor to doctor in search of a definite diagnosis - because it's hard to be in llmbo about your health - but it can be counterproductive because many doctors are wary of patients who have seen a lot of doctors previously. If you don't feel comfortable with the doctor you have, by all means you should try to find one you like and trust. But if you are happy with the doctor, staying with that doctor can be the best way to get a diagnosis eventually.

Thanks

Hi Agschafer!

Welcome to the Forum! I'm really glad that you found us!

Please just know that anytime you need advice, support, information or just to vent or chat, we're all here for you!

I have Epilepsy too, since September 2006.

I do not have a positive A.N.A. Test nor a positive Anti-Ro or Anti-La Test, but I have a lot of symptoms. My Rheumatologist thinks that I may have Behcet's Disease though. Do you get a lot of ulcers (i.e. oral, nasal, vaginal, anal, internal)? That is one of the main symptoms of Behcet's Syndrome. My Rheumatologist has confirmed that I definitely have Fibromyalgia and Sjogren's Syndrome though.

Hopefully, someone else will have some more information for you!

Keep well!

Thanks

Default Thanks for a great welcome!

Hi MARYCAIN and IloveHistory,
    Thank you so much for responding to my post! MARYCAIN, I appreciate the good advice. I guess you always want a name to put to your illness so that you know what you are dealing with, but that may never be. It is best just to accept the symptoms and deal with them as they come. There is so much emotional turmoil mixed up in it also! My whole life has changed and that is probably the most difficult to accept. But I am working on it! MARYCAIN, thanks for your support!
    Ilove History, thank you also for your great support! I do get occaisonal ulcers in my mouth but that is it. I guess I will take it just one day at a time and see where it leads me.I hope to talk to you soon!
    AND thank you both soo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Angela [/b]