Thread: sooo... what is plaquinil for anyway?

Thanks

Default sooo... what is plaquinil for anyway?

do we really just dont know what it for or how it works on us? i've googled and googled ...... what am i missing?

Thanks

Angela, you might have better luck researching by the generic name of the drug, hydroxychloroquine.
    But in any case, it is actually an antimalarial drug, which was given to soldiers in late WWII and the Korean War who were fighting in areas with malaria-carrying mosquitos. Army doctors noticed that soldiers with arthritis and inflammatory conditions who ere taking the anti-malarial drug also had improvement in their arthritis symptoms. I'm not sure the way the drug works is completely understood, but that is not unusual - doctors often prescribe drugs without fully understanding how they work. But if you check out the Lupus Foundation of America website, there is an article about Plaquenil that might answer some of your questions.

http://www.lupus.org/education/broch...larials01.html

Thanks

[quote="MARYCAIN"] I'm not sure the way the drug works is completely understood, but that is not unusual - doctors often prescribe drugs without fully understanding how they work.

thats what i mean though. i was able to find lots of info on it in general, but not the 'why' or 'how' for us luppies. thanks for the link, i'll check it out

Thanks

Doesn't it supress our immunesystem? because our immune system is *attacking* our bodies, it works by supressing it? i'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

No, drugs that supress the immune system (and/or prevent production of antibodies) are known as "immunosuppressants". Many of the agents included in this category are also cytotoxic (cell poisons) drugs. Many steroids fall into this category.

Plaquenil's use in Lupus is primarily to decrease damage to the tissues of the joints, skin and other organs in the body. As Marycain said, the reason for its success in lupus still remains somewhat mysterious. It has a wide variety of known effects aspirin-like anti-inflammatory, mild immunosuppressive and (mild) cholesterol lowering amongst others. Perhaps an important property is that of sun-protection. This may contribute to its success in treating many sun-sensitive rashes in lupus.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie