Thread: Possible Appendicitis

Thanks

Default Possible Appendicitis

Hi!

I went to the doctor today with nausea and excruciating right-sided abdominal pain. He thinks that I might have Appendicitis, but I didn't have a fever (I am on Zyrtec though, which usually prevents fevers), so he sent me home with some pain meds and some anti-nausea pills. If it gets any worse, my mother has to phone him to contact my Paediatric Surgeon (I'm sixteen years old) and then I have to go to hospital.

Has anyone else on this Forum had Appendicitis or does anyone have any advice for me or things to look out for?

Thanks and keep well!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi ILoveHistory;
    The main symptom of appendicitis is the abdominal pain. The pain is at first diffuse and poorly localized, that is, it is not generally confined to one spot (Poorly localized pain is typical whenever a problem is confined to the small intestine or colon, including the appendix.) This makes the pain very difficult to pinpoint, so often, when asked to point to the area of the pain, most people indicate the location of the pain with a circular motion of their hand around the central part of their abdomen.
    The other common, early symptom of appendicitis is a loss of appetite which may progress to nausea and even vomiting and a low fever that begins after other symptoms. Nausea and vomiting also may occur later due to intestinal obstruction.

As the inflammation in the appendix increases, it extends through the appendix to its outer covering and then to the lining of the abdomen, a thin membrane called the peritoneum. Once the peritoneum becomes inflamed, the pain will then change and become more localized in a smaller area, usually between the front of the right hip bone and the belly button. The exact point is named after Dr. Charles McBurney and is called the McBurney's point. If your appendix ruptures and infection spreads throughout your abdomen, the pain becomes diffuse again as the entire lining of the abdomen becomes inflamed.

The appendix is a wormlike expansion of the large bowel (cecum) measuring one to three inches in length. It is located in the lower right portion of the abdomen at the beginning of the large intestine. Normally it is about as thick as a lead pencil and is pinkish gray in color. It serves no function in humans that we know of and is thought to be a residuum of our primitive past. Appendicitis is an inflammation of the lining of the appendix spreading to its other portions. When an acute inflammation is involved, severe pain will be felt in the lower right part of the abdomen. By this time the appendix has usually become filled with pus. If not treated right away, the infection can spread through the wall of the appendix and can turn into gangrene and rupture. Because of this, appendicitis is considered an emergency situation. Appendicitis may be caused either by bacterial inflammation or by a viral infection occurring in the digestive tract. Lupus patients are prone to viral infections and are susceptible to bacterial infections. A bacterial infection can happen by a rigid particle of stool blocking its passageway causing pressure upon the blood vessels in the area. The inflammation can cause infection, a blood clot, or rupture of the appendix.
    Acute appendicitis is treated by surgery to remove the appendix. If the diagnosis is uncertain, people may be watched and sometimes treated with antibiotics. This approach is taken when the doctor suspects that the symptoms may have a nonsurgical or medically treatable cause. If the cause of the pain is infectious, symptoms resolve with intravenous antibiotics and intravenous fluids. In general, however, appendicitis cannot be treated with antibiotics alone and will require surgery.
    Occasionally the body is able to control an appendiceal perforation by forming an abscess. An abscess occurs when an infection is walled off in one part of the body. The doctor may choose to drain the abscess and leave the drain in the abscess cavity for several weeks. An appendectomy may be scheduled after the abscess is drained.
    Please let us know how you are doing and do be very careful to pay attention to symptoms and contact your doctor immediately if any of the above occurs!!

I wish you the best
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default exspansion

just to expand on that just a little more, one of my symptoms of lupus is peritonitis, which is an inflamation of the peritoneal lining that saysuzie spoke about, at one point in time the doctors thought i had appendicitis also, then the pain migrated to the entire stomach area, i couldnt even ride in a car it was to bumpy
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Hi Saysusie and TERIOD!

Thank you both SO much for your information and support.

Fortunately, I do not have Appendictis, but what looks like a bad strain of Gastroenteritis. I had an Ultrasound Scan, which came out fine, so there are no very serious problems there, which is good. They took some bloods and my liver is fine, thank goodness! My White Blood Cell Count and C-Reactive Protein (C.R.P.) were alright too, which is good. However, I was severely dehydrated from vomitting (sorry! ops, etc. and they found a lot of ketones in my urine, so I spent most of the day at the Hospital yesterday receiving Glucose, Sodium Chloride, Potassium, Buscopan and pain meds through a drip.

Anyway, I am feeling much better today, thank you, but I'm still very tired and quite nauseous. The pain comes and goes, but it's manageable. I am still taking Buscopan Co, Myprodol and an anti-emetic (anti-nausea drug) though, which are helping. The doctor at the hospital prescribed some more Buscopan Co for me, as well as some probiotics.

I am just SO glad that I still have my Appendix! I always worry about having organs or anything removed from my body, which may sound silly, but I just do. We don't really even know exactly what the Appendix does, so I'd rather keep mine :lol:, unless it's really necessary to remove it, of course.

Thanks again and keep well!

Thanks

that is good news, i hope you feel better soon
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Thanks, TERIOD!