Thread: Plaquenil not working anymore?

Thanks

Default Plaquenil not working anymore?

Hello All, and thanks for reading...

I have been on Plaquenil for years now... (400mg with periods of 600mg a few times for a month.) I thought it was really helping, but now it has been suggested that it is losing its effectiveness.

I hate to think this is happening, because I know that other meds are so much more harsh...

Has anyone else experienced a decline of effectiveness? How long did it take?

Thanks for your feedback...

Thanks

hi again chichi bug! i think its happending with me. i have to go see a eye doc soon. i will let you knoew. what are your symptons for you to think it no working as well?

Thanks

Because I'd been having major issues with flares, I too thought plaquenil wasn't working and my rheumy took me off it. Within a week I woke up with a swollen face and eyes and a huge malar rash, feeling achey and sore all over. The doc put me right back on it and it all went away. I think we get so used to the status quo after a long time on plaquenil that we don't give it the credit it's due. Flares seem to come and go and we think because of that it's not working but I guess it really is and without it we'd be even more miserable when the next flare raises it's ugly head ...and in my case I guess lack of plaquenil = flares anyway. Just my expereince.

Thanks

Default Plaquenil

I think that you guys are right--we get 'used' to the lowered pain, etc., brought on by plaquenil...
    I was considering it becoming less effective because I just feel like I'm going downhill again... about a year ago, this happened, and doc bumped me up to 600 mg per day for a month--and it kicked it back into gear.
    I think I'm just trying to figure out why things progress, even when you're on meds...
    I can't kick infections, have had lots of joint pain, and am just SO tired. I remember after I took the plaquenil for about a year, I was able to get less sleep... and those painful days were less-painful and shorter lasting. Now I need more sleep again, and those painful days are just as painful as they used to be.
    I have to run... Have a great day, all!
    --Kristin

Thanks

My rheumy warned me about becoming 'complacent' about the meds. She said it's easy to think something isn't really working because we have a flare or a bad spell. But, just go off the meds for a while and you'll realize that they WERE working. She says sees it all the time.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."