Thread: I had my baby!

Thanks

Default I had my baby!

I had my baby girl!
    Makelle Mae Peterson was born on March 25th. She was 5 lbs, 5 oz and 16.9 inches long.
    The entire situation surrounding her birth was full of little miracles. Iíll give you a quick rundown of the pregnancy since I know there are a lot of questions about what itís like to be pregnant with lupus.
    I got pregnant with my third child only 4 months after my diagnosis and before we got my symptoms under control. I got off of everything except the prednisone right away and I tried to lower the steroid as much as possible. My Lupus symptoms actually seemed to improve during this time, which was a blessing.
    During the second trimester, I started having a lot of trouble breathing (Iíd get winded from the littlest things and often felt like someone was sitting on my chest). I had to increase the prednisone and get back on Imuran, which seemed to help. I was incredibly clumsy, losing control of things I was holding and falling down the stairs and such. I was tired all the time, but there was nothing really to complain about. They discovered at my 20 week ultrasound that my baby had a small hole in her heart, a VSD. We had regular ultrasounds every few weeks to monitor the hole and it gradually got smaller until about 32 weeks when it had closed up completely.
    About the start of my third trimester, I started having trouble with my stomach. My skin wasnít stretching like it should as the baby was growing, causing terrible stretch marks and torn muscles in my stomach. The torn muscles were so painful I could hardly move. And the stretch marks are the worst that my OBGYN has ever seen, and that includes a woman that had triplets! I even have stretch marks on my arms and legs (and I only went from 125 to 155 lbs during my pregnancy!). My rheumy says the prednisone caused the skin problems. The bummer was there wasnít anything I could do to prevent them. All I could do was spread cocoa butter, aloe vera, olive oil, vitamin E and anything else I thought might help. I also had trouble with my blood pressure shooting up when Iíd do something simple like walk in to the clinic from the parking lot and then it would go back down to normal.
    When I was barely 34 weeks, my water broke. Again, I found out the prednisone caused my membranes to become weak. I was terrified the baby would have a lot of health problems coming so early. When she arrived, the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) took her after the first few minutes to do tests. She was pretty healthy, and very big for being 6 weeks premature. They said that the steroids I was on helped her develop faster and were the reason her lungs were so mature. I was surprised to learn that mothers who go into preterm labor are injected with steroids to help the baby mature quickly. So the prednisone actually ended up HELPING my baby, when all the time I was worried it was hurting her!
    Makelle ended up staying in the NICU for two weeks to gain weight and learn to maintain her own body temperature before we were able to take her home. We had a scare when we thought she might need surgery, but everything turned out okay.
    As for my recovery, I have discovered that having a small baby has its advantages! The recovery was a breeze compared to my first two full term babies. I did have trouble with a lot of swelling and water retention in my legs and feet due to the stress dose of steroids they gave me during labor. It took two weeks for my feet to look normal and my hands and face are still a little swollen. I havenít had any joint problems, although I am having trouble falling down the stairs again.
    Overall, the entire thing has been a miracle. A miracle that I got pregnant when my rheumy said I wasnít fertile. A miracle that I had a relatively normal pregnancy. And a miracle that my baby was healthy even though she came early.
    The biggest miracle of all came a few days ago. My husband is in the Army and his unit left April 4th for Iraq. We had thought heíd miss the babyís birth altogether since I wasnít due until May, but he was there since she came early. He was allowed to stay behind since our baby was still in the NICU, but was due to leave sometime in May. A few days ago, we heard that he had new orders to stay. Heís not going to Iraq! Iím so relieved! They said they didnít want to send him because of my condition and knowing that something could happen while he was away.
    Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to let you guys know that overall, it all went well. A good pregnancy and a beautiful baby. Thank God for little miracles!

Thanks

Oh, what wonderful news! I am so happy for you on all fronts. Hopefully once you are able to take your regular meds your doctors will be able to get your symptoms fully under control, so you can enjoy your beautiful little girl! What do your older children think of the new baby? I hope you are able to post pictures soon.

Thanks

Congratulations on your new baby. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope you all continue to do very well!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Many, Many congratulations to you and to your family. What a Blessing :lol:

Saysusie

Thanks

Congratulations! I can hear the happiness and thankfulness in your computer "voice" !

I"m so happy for you.....
    Missy

Thanks

Hi Atedj!

CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby girl! :bday: :lilangel:

I am SO happy for you and your husband!

Please just know that you, your baby, your husband and the rest of your family are in my prayers...

You are truly blessed, Atedj! :angel:

Keep well and God bless!

Thanks

Thanks everyone!
    I did try to post a picture, but my Internet filter blocks that photobucket website that St. James said to use for posting photos.
    Sorry.
    My other two kids adore her; a little TOO much! They are always trying to literally smother her with love. They are 4 1/2 and almost 3.
    Thanks again for all the nice replies!

Thanks

Congratulations and you're story is proof that GOD is still in the miracle working business.

Thanks

What a wonderful post! Congratulations to you and your husband...I'm so thrilled for you all, and so happy "Daddy" will be there to enjoy his new little girl. God's blessings on your entire family! :angel:
    Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."