Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: have u all heard of LONG WAVE UVA THERAPY??

Thanks

One new thing--I use white towels in the sauna to sit on... and I noticed that my feet were sweating blood (or so it looked)... Not a lot, but noticeable on the towel... I was kinda freaked out, and Googled it--nothing came up...
    A friend came over and was talking about sweating toxins--and how the body sweats various toxins out of your feet--so I Googled that, and came up with all kinds of colors that your sweat can turn if you are really sweating out toxins. (Mine is brown/red and represents liver toxins.) I read about some people that sweat green, others orange, etc...
    So don't freak out if you sweat various colors out your feet LOL... It hasn't happened in a few days, but it "is" curious.
    I'm still using it for an hour a day, and doing great. Yesterday I spent a lot of time on my feet, so I'm not feeling terrific today... I have a lot of bleeding under my skin in my lower legs and feet... It'd be cool if it weren't so gross LOL... but oh well. So--no cure, but it makes me feel better.
    --Kristin

Thanks

Thanks for the warning on the red toxin sweat. I wonder what colour mine will be. I did some research on the saunas and lupus and not surprisingly lupus and MS are not recommended for far infrared saunas. I knew that a couple of years ago so I didn't go ahead and try it. I am more adventurous now and figure I will know after one session if it makes me feel worse. And they really don't have much data on this.
    So glad you are doing well. I know, until they find a cure its about controlling things to a certain degree. That would be fine by me. I used to think I would only be happy if I went into permanant remission. Now I am a little more realistic about things. (and thankful for things not being worse)....all the best
    Karen

Thanks

My daughter has used light therapy for her psoriasis; Interesting, as psoriasis and lupus are linked. It helps her a great deal. Right now her psoriasis is in "remission" but when it comes back, it's horrible for her.
    As for driving...we live in Houston, where you MUST drive. There is a bus system here, but it's only good in Houston proper; if you are in the suburbs, forget about it. I no longer have the ability to remember spoken directions. For instance, if you say, "You go to X street and take a right onto Y street. Then make a left on A Avenue, continue on to B avenue..." I am lost after the first right. I didn't used to be that way. I do fine with a map. Same thing with recipes. I can see it made, hear it, but if you don't write it down, I can't even begin.
    As a teacher, I know that learners are either visual, auditory, or hands-on, sometimes a combination, but usually more one than the other. I used to be very auditory (never had to even take notes in college!) Now I am absolutely visual. Strange, eh?
    Anyway, I also now dislike driving intensely. I will do it if I must, but I used to like it.
    I also forget or mix up words, usually nouns. (There's a technical term for this, I am sure MaryCain or SaySusie know it.) Once I told my husband to be sure to leave the dog in the dishwasher! It can be kind of funny, but not always. Love, Kathy

Thanks

The indications/contraindications vary depending on who is doing the review... there is a really big study going on in Japan that really advocates sauna therapy.
    I just know that for -me- when I spend time in a sauna, I feel a lot better. Since each of our cases are different, I suggest caution--check with your doctor. My rheumatologist said it would have positive effects (but no cure)... and he is right.

Start slow--and build up.

So far, with the sauna, so good
    Have a tremendous day,
    Kristin

Thanks

Kathy--
    ME TOO! I have a "rolodex problem" in that I get my words all stuck and they come out wrong... I too have done things like tell people to do something that makes no sense.

I hate driving, too--would never drive again if I could get a personal chauffeur. I don't necessarily get "lost" since I have the gps and onstar, but I can't ever "picture" where I need to be, or how to get there--even if I've been there a hundred times. I feel like I have a gray fog space where the memory was.

Have a wonderful afternoon,
    Kristin

Thanks

Do the sunlight sauna's cause you to tan? I know they don't cause you to burn though.

Thanks

hi kristin! so sorry for just now getting back to you, i've been swamped and in a flare. im playing catch up now with all the postings!

im so glad that it's working for you! i think im am going to seriously look into this.

it sounds like we are just alike with how we keep up with everything!

be well

Thanks

Default my sauna experience

Hi everyone
    I tried the infrared light sauna. It was very soothing and comfortable. I felt good the rest of the day. The next day however, wham, sore all over. Who knows though - I often flare like this for no reason so I am really not sure if I would attribute to the sauna. I am not going to rush back though just in case.
    I will post again if I try it regularly and have anything to report on my end.
    Karen

Thanks

Sary--no, the infrared saunas do not cause you to tan. The UV rays would cause me to flare--I used to have a tanning bed... and couldn't figure out why I kept getting sicker and sicker (this was pre-official diagnosis).

Angela--I'm so sorry you're flaring. I hope it's a short one. We do seem to be so much alike--I hope you get a chance to give the Far-Infrared a try--and I hope it helps you like it helps me. (If you are looking at getting one for your house, let me know, because I'll set you up with the guy that sold us ours--he's a nice kid working his way through college and flight school.)

Karen--I am glad you found the IR Sauna helpful--even for a few minutes. How long did you spend inside? Was it Far-Infrared, or just regular Infrared? (According to the studies, it makes a big difference...) You can tell by the heating panels--were they narrow and tall--like 7 inches wide and 18 inches tall-- ceramic, u-shaped, with a rod in the middle? Or were they big flat sheets (probably covered with material) that were about one foot wide by 2 or 3 feet tall? How hot did you get it? (The Far-Infrared only gets up to 150... the others about 180.)
    The studies suggest starting out at only about 30 minutes a day, and working your way up. I am up to 55 minutes now--and those last 5 are hard.
    I hope it wasn't the sauna that triggered the pain... I wonder, too, if after a day of relief, the daily pain might have seemed worse? I know it's that way for me.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. It's been a great one here.
    --Kristin

Thanks

Hi Kristin
    It was far infrared. The panels were covered with material (flat). It was about 130-140 temp wise. I defintely felt the detox effects later that day. So I wondered if I should be doing the sauna for a few days consecutively in order to really get the bad stuff out. Do you know if there are any program/recommendations for this?
    Thanks again,
    Karen