Thread: New to this group, looking for support

Thanks

Default New to this group, looking for support

Good morning..although I feel that it's not too good yet. I will make this short for now, as my vision is not very good this morning.

Diagnosed with SLE approx 7 years ago and had to stop working allmost right away.

I suffer from terrible migraines, among many many other symptoms..I will go into that later.

But I wanted to join this group , I need support, just found out that I had a stroke. Never knew it....

signed,
    upset in Florida
    aka Brenda

Thanks

Hi!

Welcome to the Forum! I'm really glad that you found us!

Please just know that anytime you need advice, support, information or just to vent or chat, we're all here for you!

I'm sure that you will find the most amazingly supportive people on this Forum!

I am SO sorry to hear about your stroke! :cry: Please know that I am praying for you!

Keep well and God bless you!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello Brenda: :lol:
    Stroke is one of the symptoms of brain involvment with Lupus, also known as Cenral Nervous System (CNS) involvment. Our nervous system is divided into three parts, the central nervous system, The peripheral nervous system, and the autonomic nervous system. The central nervous system consists of the brain and spinal cord; the peripheral nervous system is comprised of nerve fibers that supply the skin and muscles with the power needed for sensation and movement and the autonomic nervous system helps to regulate internal organs and body functions.
    The brain (CNS) is affected by lupus in about 25 percent of all cases. Active lupus that affects the central nervous system can cause seizures, movement disorders, psychiatric problems, cognitive (memory etc. - The term “lupus fog” is almost universally known to people with the disease. Often in lupus, people have difficulty accessing information that is in their brain.) dysfunction, stroke, headache and more. The symptoms are primarily caused by tissue damage as a result of Lupus. The symptoms that occur vary depending on the location and extent of the tissue injury. For example: nerve tissue may be damaged when antibodies attack nerve cells or blood vessels. Nutrients and oxygen are delivered through blood vessels that feed the brain, spinal cord and nerves. If the blood vessels become inflamed (one of the main symptoms of Lupus is inflammation) and the blood flow is slowed or interrupted, the cells of the nervous system will be injured and unable to function normally. CNS vasculitis is inflammation of the blood vessels of the brain.
    Stroke is a sudden neurological event in the brain. Ischemia (a lack of blood supply to the brain caused by arterial blockage) accounts for 80 percent of all strokes, and hemorrhage (bleeding into the brain) accounts for 20 percent. Unfortunately, patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) are at increased risk of myocardial infarction (heart) and stroke (brain). You are not alone!!
    We are here to help you to understand Lupus and how it may affect you, to answer any questions that you may have, to provide you with information and, mostly, to give you support and comfort!! Please know that you are not alone :lol:
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie