Thread: Low White Blood Cells in Lupus?

Thanks

Default Low White Blood Cells in Lupus?

I have a friend with some lupus type symptoms, she has not been diagnosed. One of them is low wbc-low neutrophils, and high lympocytes, overall, low wbc. Her concern is if low wbc is a lupus symptom and how?One of her drs. is leaning toward lupus. She has a negative ANA and a positive Ebstein Barr. Other symptoms include, fatigue, strange ache/tingle in hands wrists, feet and lower legs, Raynauds, and some joint pain, oh and some unexplained low grade fevers.
    any info to pass on would be great.
    Kim

Thanks

Hi Kim:

I've been sick since 1998 and they thought I had Lupus. Every year I go to a Rheumatologist and he checks the bloodwork. My white count is always low.

My ANA has always been posted. It jumps back and forth from 160 to 320 and the pattern also changes. I also have the fevers, and debilitating fatigue and Raynauds' as a second symptom from my illness and muscle aches and pains.

But I have CFS. Has your friend been checked for other illnesses?

CindyLou

Thanks

Kim, a low WBC can be one of the "hematologic disorder" criteria for a lupus diagnosis -

Hemolytic anemia or leukopenia (white blood count below 4,000 cells per cubic millimeter) or lymphopenia (less than 1,500 lymphocytes per cubic millimeter) or thrombocytopenia (less than 100,000 platelets per cubic millimeter). The leukopenia and lymphopenia must be detected on two or more occasions. The thrombocytopenia must be detected in the absence of drugs known to induce it.