Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Symptoms of "Photosensitvity?"

Thanks

I just found some not-too-expensive UV protective clothing at a local sporting goods store (Gander Mountain?) It was a bit cheaper than the stuff from LL Bean (and a lot cheaper than the Columbia brand stuff.) Kind of cute shirts, both short and long-sleeved (not sure why you'd wear a short sleeved shirt if you're trying to cover up, though!) I bought one, but am thinking of going back to get a couple more so I can rotate them this summer. I'm hoping that'll make it easier than greasing up every time I have to go out.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

In my case I get the rash on my face. Does that mean I need to cover my whole body? Cause ya know my wonderful derm (I'm being sarcastic) never pointed that out to me. Like I said in a different post - he seems more concerned with treating his plastic surgery patients ($$$) than me, someone with real skin issues and no insurance. Anyway, I have always known to keep my face protected but not everything else. Could exposure on my arms and legs trigger the rash on my face?

Thanks

I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing any sun exposure is going to be a problem if you are photosensitive. It probably doesn't matter if it's your face, your arms or your legs. The good thing is there are a lot more options in sun blocks now. Some last longer, some aren't so greasy. I think there have been a number of them mentioned on this forum. I use the new Aveeno stuff that is 45 SPF and is supposed to last a lot longer than ordinary sun block. It's not greasy and little goes a long way. (Which is good, 'cause it wasn't cheap! :lol: )

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Default Sun

I have tanned every year since I was a teen. Yes, I know it is bad for you! Last summer in August out of the blue after tanning outside since March my eye lids started itching and swelled almost shut. I then itched on my lids, under my eyes and beside my nose. It lasted about 4-5 days and then peeled. I thought I developed some kind of sensitivity to my sunblock because my face has always been more sensitive to the sun. So, I tried different sun blocks, less time with the sun exposure to my face and sun glasses and nothing worked. Has anyone had this instead of the butterfly rash? I also have an itchy face even when not in the sun, especially at night.

Thanks

Hi Tammy,

How are you? Soothing skin yet?

Hey, see what common ingredient all the sunscreen products have because you maybe allergic to a particular ingredient.

Your reaction around the eyes sounds just like mine. I am allergic to dimethicone and forms of it which is found in most hair, face and body care products.

Tiresome, but I read all ingredients now and avoiding dimethicone has cleared up those symptoms on the face.

In the thread called "Itchy" under SLE Smptoms I listed the products I use.

Keep well,
    Oluwa

Thanks

A couple of weeks ago, I had just finished work and I was really exhausted. It was such a sunny beautiful day out, and I so badly just wanted to lay by the beach in the sun for a bit.

I ended up falling asleep for a hour or so (no sunscreen, although I was wearing a lot of clothes) and I remember feeling so sick afterwards. The next day, I was soo ill.

My body had just become so drained, I felt achy like I had the flu or something.

Thanks

Oluwa, I just avoid the sun. I have been in the sun with and without sunblock and still have the same symtoms. At night itching has gotten better, but I don't use anything on my face when it happens. I do have a reaction to certain sunblocks, so I stay away from most of them. Neutrogena Moisturizer is one I use under makeup. It does not make me itch or have the burning/tingling other sun blocks give me.

Thanks

Tammy,

Great the night itching isn't as bad. Itching in the dark, one can scratch their skin raw. "Itch bruises", I've had many in morning.

Do you slather on body lotion prior to bedtime? Maybe that might help.

I have a itch without rash reaction on my face and body to Ultracet, Percocet and etc. so I take it with Claritin or a similar product to tame it.

I do have the malar rash. I look sunburned and pimply like a baby's bottom but the bumps are subsiding with the malarial. The pinkish red tone is still there.

To cover the sunburn looked, I dust my cheeks with a mint ice cream color powder and use also a concealer in that color also then I put a skim of foundation on. Viola. It tones the red down alot. The color wheel... green cancels red to equal brown.

For me, the sun makes me nausea, gives me headache. Also, I feel like I am disconnected. Well, I feel like that alot of the time. Like my body is here and my mind is over there and I just can't get the two to connection. I call it my out of body experience.

Stay covered and keep well,
    Oluwa

Thanks

I have the nausea and headache too. This isn't just when I'm in the sun, but also when I'm on my porch where I can see the sun, but am in the shade. I just assumed this was part of the photosensitivity. It is definitely worse if my symptoms are active, but I also seem to get "over-heated" a lot faster than I did when I was young.

Oluwa- I never thought about using an allergy pill with my pain medication. That is a REALLY good idea. I get itchy all over every time I take one. I don't even notice anymore. If I take a pill without mentioning it to my husband, he can always tell. I'll start scratching my arms or my legs or my back, etc. and he'll say, "Pain pill?" and I say, "Pain pill." I have to say this is one of the things that I do find amusing. A little crazy I know, but we usually giggle about it

Thanks

Yea, AB...

I found Benadryl is too sedating, Claritin is bit mild but Chlor-Trimeton is just right. Stronger than Claritin but not as Benadryl. If you can find it, go with Chlor-Trimeton.

The light of day makes my head and eyes ache. Many days I wear shades in the house as we have lots of windows and also when I am on the PC..the screen does the same. I am wearing them now...

Keep well,
    Oluwa