Thread: Answers provided on this forum

Threaded View

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luv1only63 View Post
    whew, i found it. thanks. i guess i am still experiencing a flare. it has been over a month since i was given melixicam and now plaquenil. the doc also gave me 2 weeks of predisone but i am not taking it. i am diabetic and have hbp and the steroids causes both to hit the roof. i am always exhausted, severe pain in my lower back, swelling in my abdomen and ankles, nausea, no appetite, headaches, etc. i do my best to shower dress and look my best everyday and my family and friends always say i don't look sick. i have given them written literature and asked them to read it but they still think i am just lazy and don't want to work. that is so far from the truth. this house is driving me nuts and i am not able to much of anything but take meds, sleep, etc. is there any hope? i am the 2nd person in my family to have lupus. the first was a niece that ended up on dialysis and passed on at age 25
    i am also taking anti depression and antil anxiety med, i am so drugged, that the "brain fog" is a normal day for me. i do appreicate this site and thank you.
    The first thing that you need to know is that plaquenil often takes 3 to 5 months to really work. It is a slow thing but it helps many. I also understand you being worried about the steroids but you might really want to talk to your doctor because steroids is one of the front line meds to help knock out a flare. He gave you 2 weeks worth instead of starting you on a daily dose most likely due to the fact that you are diabetic. Take it from someone that "self medicates" way too often (I know better then the doctors). It seldom ends well.

The fact that we "don't look sick" is a big problem for many. Family and friends seldom "get it" but there is a wonderful story that many of us have used to try and explain this disease. It is called The Spoon Theory and can be found at the link provided.

I am really glad that you decided to join the WHL family! Please make yourself at home and I look forward to getting to know you!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

luv1only63 (06-07-2011), Saysusie (06-07-2011), steve.b (06-08-2011)